Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 week old not gaining weight quickly enough?

Default Re: 2 week old not gaining weight quickly enough?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eb3 View Post
    Nursing as I read your posts. Does anyone think I should give her the previously pumped breast milk?

It seems a bit counterintuitive because I want to make sure my supply stays up
    if you can give it through an SNS, i don't think it would hurt. but definitely better to nurse than alternate feed + pump.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I'd agree with not giving pumped milk right now - I think you're right it would be counter-intuitive at this point. My second daughter has been gaining slowly all along and still is at 3 months old, and giving her bottles in the early days just made our problems worse. If you do have to supplement with pumped milk, we found a feeding tube (ie. homemade SNS) to be the best - but I know every baby will do well with different things Good luck, it sounds to me like you're doing great!

sorry for the delayed reply - went to the weigh in today and there was no weight change

I'm very confused about what could be going on and am becoming concerned. i'm trying to find a baby weigh scale to rent so we can see how much she's actually taking in at each feeding. the pediatrician was ok with this, but her original suggestion today was to pump and bottle feed so she knows exactly how much the baby is consuming.

my dd is 18 days old today and weight 7 lb 10 oz again (same as friday - 4 days ago).

she has a wet diaper every 1.5 hours and poops multiple times a day.

i'm very disheartened and frustrated and would welcome any suggestions/advice/previous experiences.

thanks again everyone.

my suggestion is still to see an IBCLC and do some weigh feed weigh tests
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

i agree. you need to call in the bigger guns at this point. it just doesn't make sense that she's having a wet diaper every 1.5 hours and she's still not gaining any weight. i can't remember: have you talked with your ped about pursuing other kinds of tests?

i just don't understand why peds think it will help to do the pump & bottle feed method ... what do they think it will tell them other than what they can find out other ways? (eg by diaper output)
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eb3 View Post
    I'm very confused about what could be going on and am becoming concerned. i'm trying to find a baby weigh scale to rent so we can see how much she's actually taking in at each feeding. the pediatrician was ok with this, but her original suggestion today was to pump and bottle feed so she knows exactly how much the baby is consuming.
    The scale is an excellent idea. A careful weigh-feed-weigh record, where you weigh before and after every feeding- is just as accurate as pumping and bottlefeeding when it comes to determining how much milk baby is taking in. Pediatricians often suggest the pump/bottle avenue because they think it's easier, or because they don't realize that the scale is a better alternative for a mom who doesn't want to risk her chances of breastfeeding her baby.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks for everyone's help. I rented a baby weigh scale from a lactation consultant and i've also decided to hire her for a session this coming Monday.

My daughter seemed to only be drinking .5 oz to 1 oz no matter how long she nurses and even though she seems to be actively nursing after a let down. She must have been getting just enough to help her pee etc. but her weight was never increasing. the LC thinks it could be 1 of a few things: sleepy due to jaundice or pre-eclampsia, she was born at 37 weeks and maybe was just taking her a while to get the hang of it, or she possibly has a sneaky posterior tongue tie, or a high palate. i hope to know more after the LC session.

When i rented the scale, the LC recommended feeding her pumped milk just to get her weight up b/c she suspected dd wasn't transferring enough milk. feeding her the pumped milk has been working and my daughter has been steadily gaining. so clearly there is some kind of nursing issue that I hope can be resolved.

one thing i wanted to mention: with this baby, all the milk i've pumped since it came in has looked extremely thick and creamy - never looks thin and never has. When i was nursing my 2 older kids, there was definitely a difference and the milk looked watery at first and thicker later as expected.

this milk is so thick and creamy you can't see through it and it smells creamier. all the pump parts and bottles smell like milk even after i wash them. and my daughter seems to fall asleep almost immediately when i nurse her.

has anyone ever exprienced this? i suppose i should create a separate post for this

so glad to hear this - it sounds like you're starting to pinpoint the issue and hopefully the LC will be able to narrow it down even more! please let us know how it goes.

no idea about the creamy milk
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Promise to give an update. Thanks for your support

She has a wet diaper approx every 1-2 hours and has a poopy (yellow curdy bf type) diaper 4-5 times per day.
    is this continuing to be the case?

Has anyone suggested that this might not be breastfeeding related at all? Some babies have medical concerns for example, heart trouble, that cause slow weight gain. Sure it’s rare, but of course, very important that this possibility be at least considered I would think(?)

It's just that it sounds like you have plenty of milk given you reported having oversupply. And while .5 to 1 oz a day is not good transfer, it also has to be taken into account that baby is very young. at around 2 weeks, adequate transfer for a before/after nursing weight check is 2 ounces, according to the breastfeeding textbook Breastfeeding Answers Made Simple. And your baby is just over 2 weeks-in fact, if there is such a thing as adjusted age for 37 week babies, (and I do not know if there is) baby is not even that-

How often are you able to bring baby to the breast?
    Studies have shown that having enough poops is typically indicative of baby getting enough milk. (Weight gain most reliable measure and then poop output.) So basically poops are more reliable than pees for measuring that intake is adequate. Is baby pooping enough (see chart.)
    http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...diaper_log.pdf

Oh and my understanding is breastmilk milk varies greatly in consistency and how it 'looks' from session to session and from mother to mother. I would not worry about that at all. The issue is having enough milk and getting it into baby. One thing I wonder-is it possible your dates are off and baby was even younger when born? Because milk for premature babies is different than that for full term babies. Not sure if it actually looks different but basically the mothers body adjusts for the situation and milk continues to change to meet the needs of the growing baby throughout the entire time a mom nurses.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; October 21st, 2012 at 12:17 AM.