Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 week old not gaining weight quickly enough?

Default 2 week old not gaining weight quickly enough?

Hi everyone, I'd love to hear some feedback/help from this wonderful community on my situation. sorry it is soooo long.

I have a 2 week old daughter who i'm nursing and i'm concerned that my supply has dropped off. hopefully i'm worrying for no reason.

some background info:

birth weight: 8 lbs (born at 37.5 weeks via c-section - pre-eclampsia)
    hospital discharge weight (discharged on a monday): 7lb 5 oz
    pediatrician weigh in #1 (friday after discharge - 1 week old): 7 lb 9 oz
    pediatrician weigh in #2 (1 week after 1st weigh in): 7 lb 10 oz
    pediatrician weigh in #2.1 (same day - after nursing for 20-30 min): 7lb 11 oz, but she also peed while i fed her (and they weigh the baby naked.)

This is my 3rd child. I nursed the first 2 until they were ~ 15 months old without any issues.

After an 8 year break, i had this daughter. She wasn't super interested in eating. Immediately after the c-section she latched on and nursed. Anytime she did try to nurse, she latched on well, but wasn't acting very hungry in general. We had to wake her up after 3-4 hours and still she wasn't super "hungry. She'd fall asleep after just a few minutes even though she was latched on ok.

My milk came in 2 days after delivery and again i had an over supply (similar to baby#2). I had to pump just to avoid pain from engorgement for about 4-5 days and was getting a good 4-6 oz on each side during one pumping session. my daughter started nursing for longer sessions but still had a few times a day where she'd sleep and i'd have to wake her to nurse. Then when she was about a week old i stopped feeling engorged daily which i attributed to my baby finally caring about eating Since then she basically nurses constantly. as soon as i put her down she'll wake up and root around and eat her hand. i pick her up and nurse her again.

She has a wet diaper approx every 1-2 hours and has a poopy (yellow curdy bf type) diaper 4-5 times per day. The pediatrician gently wondered if we would be willing to supplement with formula (i said no). She suggested i give her some of the milk i had already pumped and we'll be checking her weight again tuesday (4 days after the last check). I'm not too keen on this either. The pediatrician also acknowledged that the baby looks good, she isn't worried, and thought it was possible her nurse didn't record the 1st weight correctly.

Another bit of background: i've lost weight since being home from the hospital, partially due to preeclampsia fluids finally going away and I probably wasn't eating enough until just a few days ago. I take medication for hypo-thyroidism. I also have a somewhat rare condition where i get anaphylaxis symptoms when i get my period. Apparently i am allergic to the change in hormone levels (oh joy!). when i was pregnant and nursing my other 2 kids, i didn't have any anaphylaxis until i was done nursing. This time when i got pregnant, same thing - no anaphylaxis. well about 4 or 5 days ago i started getting severe hives and angio edema which are some of symptoms i get when i have my period. Between the seemingly low weight gain and my hives i'm beginning to worry that my supply is slowing down for some reason.

i'd really appreciate any feedback/suggestions you might have.

many thanks

Default Re: 2 week old not gaining weight quickly enough?

hi mama, congrats!!

the # of wet & poopy diapers indicate your DD is getting enough milk. from what you describe here i'd be shocked if she hasn't gain a lot by tuesday. constant nursing is normal, not a sign of low supply.

to be clear - she's not yet 2 weeks old? the standard "rule" is baby should regain birthweight by 2 weeks.

i agree it would worry me a little she only gained an oz from #1 to #2, but then she clearly took in a good amount before 2.1 (my DS got weighed immediately before and after a pee and it was more than an oz). can you say more about how nursing has gone specifically after that 2.1 weigh?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read through my saga. Sorry I think I did a poor job on the timeline :-). My dd was 2 weeks old on Friday (yesterday - at her 2.0 and 2.1 weigh in).
    Last edited by @llli*eb3; October 13th, 2012 at 09:31 PM.

Also was she weighed on the same scale? Was 7/5 her lowest weight or just hospital discharge weight? Has she been checked for tongue tie? I would not be worried enough to supplement at this point ( I would be worried about your pedi who doesn't seem very BF knowledgable) but if it continues to be an issue I personally would do a weigh feed weigh to check transfer issues.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

She was weighed on the same scale for the pediatrician visits but not the discharge weight- that was at the hospital.

I suspect her weight went down after discharge based on her lack of interest that hung around for 3-4 more days. But I didn't have her weighed til that first ped visit.

I was thinking of renting a baby weigh scale. I guess I should hold off till the Next weigh in

that might be a good idea. the thing is, she took in at LEAST an oz in that nursing at 2 weeks. which is at least 1 data point that says you have milk and she's getting it. i think tuesday's weigh in is a good idea, and will give you a clearer sense of what to do next. in the meantime, NURSE LIKE CRAZY and hope she'll zoom ahead!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Good plan. Keep nursing as much as possible and KUP!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Thanks all!

Nursing as I read your posts. Does anyone think I should give her the previously pumped breast milk?

It seems a bit counterintuitive because I want to make sure my supply stays up

I personally don't
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Excellent advice from the PPs. I just want to add the suggestion that you get your thyroid levels checked, because low thyroid function can cause lowered milk supply. Hyperthyroid issues can, too, IIRC, and sometimes people with thyroid problems will cycle from hypo to hyper in a very short time. Thyroid problems are really common in the postpartum period, and they are especially common in women who already have issues.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"