Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: undersupply?

Default undersupply?

Perhaps it's too early to tell, but I think I might have an undersupply, which is ironic because with my first, I had a bad oversupply.

Anyway, DS was born just two days ago, and in the hospital, he was latching on fine and made one wet diaper during his first 24 hours. Since we've come home, his latch hasn't changed, but I can't seem to satisfy him. He's constantly rooting, even after being at breast for a 1/2 hour to an hour. My biggest reason for concern is that he only made one wet diaper during his second 24 hours. Also, we brought him to the pedi. today for an unrelated concern, and he went from 7 lbs. 13 oz at birth to 7 lbs 2 oz at 2 days old. The pedi was concerned and suggested we supplement with formula. Her theory was that this is all because my milk hasn't come in yet.

Any help/support would be greatly appreciated! I loved breastfeeding my first, and I was really looking forward to breastfeeding again, and I'd hate to lose the opportunity.

Oh, and I made an appointment with an LC, so I hope that will help too.

Default Re: undersupply?

If your baby is only two days old, it's very NORMAL that your milk has not completely come in yet. It's also normal that your baby wants to nurse all of the time, because he's programmed to nurse in order to bring your milk in and establish your milk supply. It is too early to say you have low supply, because it's completely normal for you to not have much milk yet! You may just be seeing some white milk in addition to clearish-yellow colostrum now. Over the next couple days, you will see more milk and less colostrum, and you may experience some engorgement around this time. In the meantime, nothing is wrong! You don't need to pump, you just need to nurse your baby. In most cases, no supplementation is necessary - babies are born with enough fat reserves to wait until your milk comes in.

Read this! - http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

with the PP.

It can be really hard to count newborn pees in a super-absorbant disposable diaper. One useful trick is to tuck a few squares of tissue paper- toilet paper will do fine- in front of your baby's genitals. When he pees, the paper will be visibly wet.

Don't freak out about the baby's weight. It's normal for newborns to lose weight. Up to 10% of birthweight is normal. Your baby would have to lose 12.5 oz in order to reach that 10% figure, and that's 2.5 oz more than he has lost so far. 2 things that can complicate the picture are IV fluids given to mom during birth (they can artificially inflate birthweight, making neonatal weight loss seem more extreme than it really is) and using 2 different scales (differences in calibration between scales are common, and with newborn babies even a single oz more or less can make the difference between normal and not normal).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

And it can take up to 2 weeks to regain birth weight (sometimes longer, even in healthy babies who are nursing well). So don't stress too much about weight gain/loss right now, but nurse that baby!! Things will hopefully be looking very different in just a couple days. Since you had bad oversupply before, try to avoid pumping at this stage, because that makes oversupply a lot worse. With my first, I pumped when he was two days old because he wasn't latching well, and I had MISERABLE oversupply that took months to fix and which contributed to mastitis and many clogged ducts. With my second, I didn't pump until she was over four weeks old (because I was scared of the pump after my first experience! ). With her, I had a strong, ample, robust supply, but I never had oversupply like with my first, and never got mastitis once (not even a bad clogged duct).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

completely agree with PP. that's an almost 9% loss by my calculation (125 to 114). when DS was born, they wanted him to lose less th vn gfvrk oops baby on the keyboard less than 8%, i think up to 10% is still in the realm of normal. so watch his wets carefully but otherwise do exactly what jomo says!

i'll add: my milk didn't come in in force until day 5, which exacerbated their concern for DS (even though day 5 is still well within the normal range). we ended up feeding an oz of formula, twice, on day 3, using an SNS. it was REALLY hot, ds was REALLY unhappy, and i'm very glad we did it. in retrospect i wish i'd asked someone i knew for donor milk instead of using formula, but i'm glad i gave him something. using the SNS meant that i was still letting him bring in my milk.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks Mommies! I left the pedi office today feeling totally defeated, but you ladies have really helped me regain my hope. I'm so thankful for this forum.

Your son sounds like a completely normal 2-day-old baby! My concern is why your pediatrician suggested that you supplement with formula. THAT is what will lead you to have an undersupply! (Which otherwise sounds unlikely, given that you had a robust supply with your first baby.) You should make it clear to her that you are committed to breastfeeding. Is the LC part of the practice? If so you should recruit her to help communicate with the pediatrician NOT to undermine you by suggesting formula at this point. Your baby was born at a normal weight and has not lost 10% of birth weight so there is really NO reason at this point for formula! (Unless there's some other issue you've haven't mentioned, like hyperbilirubinemia.) My guess is that with your baby's constant feeding your milk is going to come in in the next day, baby will start regaining his weight, and hopefully your pediatrician will back off the formula idea. But if she doesn't, definitely get a good explanation from her about why you would need formula before giving it to your son.