Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby crying during nursing

Default Baby crying during nursing

My baby (who is between five an six months old) has started crying while nursing and pulling off the breast. He does it at every feeding, and on both sides, no matter what time of day.

Here is some background info for me:

This little guy is one of twins. They were born at 34 weeks and were pump dependent in the NICU. I was sent home from the NICU with a mandate to get them to eat a certain amount of food every three hours, and to increase that amount on that schedule gradually. The babies at coming home were not able to nurse this amount (per pre/post feeding weights). So, I pumped every three hours and fed the babies expressed milk. They would also get supplements of formula if I could not pump enough. As they got bigger, the amount that I have been able to pump has not increased. I tried fenugreek (which helped a little), beer, oatmeal, and pumping more often without much in the way of results. I believe it is because the babies were only getting to the breast a few times a day and at night. I though I needed to change these bad habits (feeding on a schedule instead of on demand, and feeding mainly through pumping and a bottle) or I was basically going to slowly see them eat more and more formula until they were not breast feeding. I have very little breast feeding support in my rural location, and my dr. is concerned about the growth of the babies as they are low on the growth charts, and didn't grow as much on their last weight check. (They are preemies, though). i called a lactation support person in another city, and she advised that i pump less, breastfeed on demand, and continue to offer the supplements. I have been doing that for about a week, and the babies have been interested in less and less of the bottles as they are nursing much more! that's so exciting for me, but then this guy started crying at nursing.

I dont know if he doesn't want to work at it - he has always nursed at night and various times during the day with no problem. maybe my let down has become more forceful, or maybe it's teething because he's at the age and has been drooling a lot.

Any advice is appreciated. I don't want to lose the gains we have, but I am under pressure to make sure growth is not jeopardized.

Also, is my milk supply at risk if my breast are not being emptied through this time? Should I pump more?

I have breastfed two other boys who were singletons.

Default Re: Baby crying during nursing

I would guess teething or some other kind of pain like an ear infection if it suddenly started happening and is at every nursing. Does he do it if you place him in the nursing position but don't actually nurse? i.e., could it be he doesn't feel comfortable in that position?

I wouldn't get too panicky about the supply, unless his nursing has really tanked. Your supply should adjust.

mostly agree with PP.

so is DS eating much? are you still supplementing with bottles or doing that more now that he's fussing at the breast? i'm just wondering about your supply/pumping quesion.

kudos to you getting both back to the breast! that's a lot of work. good job.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Well, he pretty much fusses in all positions, and has generally been more fussy, but mostly when nursing. What's weird is that he is not fussy with the bottle. I notice that he does a little better at the breast that does not get as full - but the bottle squirts into his mouth, so I dont know why that would matter - but it might.

He had a little bit of a stuffy nose - maybe his ears are plugged . . . not sure why he reacts differently to the bottle.

He is not eating much - well it doesnt seem like it. He takes a couple of drinks and then pulls off, and does that throughout the feeding. I offer him the supplements as I was advised to do, and he did drink four ounces of it tonight, which make me think he didn't drink enough from me. His brother has continued feeding, so that helps, but not enough to empty since I am used to feeding two babies.

They just fell asleep for their longer sleeping period so I pumped just in case.

Thanks for the input! It has been exhausting with the switch in feeding on top of fussy babies, a potty-training toddler, and school pick ups / drop offs, and I really appreciate the perspective that can come from some one other than me right now .

hm, i bet it's something developmental or he's not feeling well. of course, taking food from a bottle isn't necessarily an indication of hunger since baby can't regulate intake very well - if it just squirts into his mouth he has to swallow or he'll choke.

and of course babies CAN actually get full feedings by doing the swallow/pull off thing you describe. so watch his wet diapers but i bet this will resolve shortly on its own.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.