Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decided to try to relactate, its been 6 weeks

Default Decided to try to relactate, its been 6 weeks

6 weeks ago I decided to stop breast feeding because my baby wasnt gaining weight. Ive struggled with this decision and cried daily since. I decided today that I cant keep doing this and I am going to try to induce lactation again. I just started this morning with putting the baby to my breasts and making sure to pump every 2-3hrs. I am already getting just a drop or 2 from each breast when I pump, not sure about when the baby is there. Any advice/encouragement and one can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Amy

Default Re: Decided to try to relactate, its been 6 weeks

hi there! good to hear you are trying to nurse again. a few drops of milk is a good sign

how old is your baby?

these two links can be very helpful:

relactation/

reducing supplements

you will need to get your supply back up and also encourage your lo to get back to the breast. it can be a long process so try not to get discouraged! one step at a time.

and you will need to eventually work away from supplements slowly because you want to build your supply and make sure the baby is getting enough to eat.

its always good to make your breasts a happy comfy place even if your lo is not nursing yet. plenty of skin to skin contact. and try not to force the baby to take the breast. you want to make it a "happy place there" do your best to not take it personally if the baby takes awhile.

try not be be upset with yourself mama. why did you think your lo was not gaining properly?

It sounds like you are off to a great start!! Did your LO latch? I don't have any experience or advice but just wanted to offer encouragement! Keep coming back here, the ladies are great!!
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

good job mama! if baby is already latching/suckling again, and you are already getting drops when you pump, then you're going to be able to kick this thing's butt!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

My baby is just over 11 weeks old. I feel like so far I am doing good with this. I just started on friday afternoon with pumping and putting him to my breasts and already I am getting enough milk that it drips off the nipple and into the pump. It doesnt add up to more than those few drops but it is more that I was getting when I started, so that keeps me encouraged. He does latch (better than he did before actually) and he will nurse for a little while. I do not push him, once he fusses and doesnt want to latch again I stop and I try to keep him happy and giggly the entire time. Im making sure to drink a lot and eat more and Ive started taking fenugreek since I always had production issues with my 1st 3 that led to me just giving up. As for his weight loss, he was down over 2lbs before he even hit 3 weeks. We added in formula and his weight would still not go up if he was getting more breast milk than formula. I didnt mind supplementing and I was still working to make my milk help him gain. My milk was clear and never had a fat layer. Even when he nursed, it just looked like water. I was told my milk wasnt good for him other than the antibodies and after a couple more weeks I just quit all together. The milk I get now isnt clear or anything and I dont know if the clear milk was actually no good for him, but I guess I panicked because he was 8.12 when he was born and by 3 weeks he was 6.2 and was only gaining about an 3oz a week when i was still breastfeeding. Now in 6weeks of just formula he is up to 14lbs. My goal is to be at least half and half and if possible eventually all BM. Im already drinking 2 protein shakes a day and eating more protein as well in an effect to keep my intake up so that the milk is richer. Now I at least feel like if I am not able to get my supply back then at least I tried.

And thanks for the encouragement ladies! I thought people would think I was crazy once I discovered this could be done, but the few people I have told have just been supportive.

great to hear you so positive and that he is latching. you are doing really well mama. very impressive.

as for your milk not being good quality thats just not true. milk can vary greatly in the way it looks. i only ever saw fat when my milk was in the fridge for awhile and it had seperated.

as for weight gain issues it could be a couple of things. just two ideas:

baby needs to be weighed on the same scale each time.

baby could have had trouble transferring the milk, my son did a bit in the beginning. i started to change our hold to the football hold and did compressions on my breasts while he nursed. and i had to work my butt off to keep him awake to nurse because he fell asleep so often.

here are some links i thoght you might like in general mama:

weight-gain

weight-gain_increase

how-much-weight-will-my-breastfeeding-baby-gain

There was never fat even after it had been in the fridge. Im not sure what was going on with it, it even tasted like water (I was curious lol) I know that what Im getting this time so far is totally different so Im focusing on that . He was always weighed on the same scale. I think the info that I got about bad milk and how stopping was a good idea came from a very bad LC. Actually when the doc mentioned that I didnt have to stop and asked if I was still leaking or anything, I tried to call the LC again and the number isnt in service, Idk but I think she was a fraud I started reading things about fast let down and now, instead of bad milk or not enough, I think I had a strong let down which caused him to sleep so much and be so fussy at the breast. I will say that every 2hrs of pumping and trying to get him to latch feels so overwhelming. I stop the bottle half way through and he will giggle and latch and giggle and latch. So I think once im making enough for him to actually get something things may go well. Its just a lot of work lol which is ok. Today Im already seeing a big increase from yesterday. Not like im getting an oz or anything, but the drops forming together and being able to run down the pump is so great. Thanks for the links!!

you are doing so awesome!! it IS hard and overwhelming right now, but you are making amazing progress very quickly and soon just nursing will be so much easier than formula & bottles.

how weird about your milk early on. and yeah, sounds like a fraud LC. boo.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

agree with PP about you doing awesome and about how it IS hard right now with the pumping and trying to get back to the breast. really hard. BUT you really are doing so great.

and i think the watery bm could simply be your milk transitioning from colostrum in the beginning or excess "foremilk" and less "hindmilk".

i really am so glad to hear he is giggling and having fun nursing. it'll all be worth it mama. keep it up!