Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When is it a good time to give a bottle?

Default When is it a good time to give a bottle?

I am ebf. And I do have some milk pumped and saved until my daughter can
    drink from a cup and I will put that into it.

But my husband and I are trying to do one on one with her son who is 6. And I was thinking twice a month I want to go and do something with just me and my son. But to do that I would have to have my daughter drink from a bottle if she gets hungry while I am gone.
    She is 6 weeks and 2 days old as of right now, when would be a good time to
    try her on a bottle of breastmilk? I just don't wan her to get nipple confusion
    and then not want to take my breast.

Default Re: When is it a good time to give a bottle?

At 6 weeks, you can definitely offer a bottle- as long as nursing is going well in general. I would try it and see what happens! At this point, nipple confusion is not such a big worry, particularly if you are only planning to do very occasional bottles.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Nursing is going great, she latches on when she is suppose to. Though sometimes she likes to play and act like she can't find it lol. Is there a certain bottle I should try that will not give her a lot of air. I was thinking about trying the drop-ins.

You can definitely try a bottle at this point. She may not like it very much, or she might take to it right away. I always just use basic, cheap bottles (Evenflo) with my babies, but other moms have had success with the drop-in style. (I may have to try some other varieties because I am back at work and my baby is not taking the bottle so well, she just STRONGLY prefers the breast. Which is certainly better than the other way around, but still stressful. )

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.