Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Losing suction?

Default Losing suction?

Sometimes when I am feeding my 5 week old it sounds like the vacuum between her and me is released. Should there be a constant seal? I have noticed if she ever has a bottle that milk dribbles out the side when she drinks, is this her breaking the seal again? Is it bad for me or baby? It is still painful to latch her on at this stage and sometimes have to take her off and reposition her as its too painful.

Default Re: Losing suction?

It all sounds normal to me, it takes a while for bfing to feel comfortable 100% of the time. Bottles are gravity-drip so when baby gets too much it leaks out. Using bottles and soothers a lot may interfere with good latching for young babies, if you have the option you might think about cup feeding when you cannot bf, and cutting down on paci use if you use one.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Default Re: Losing suction?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*izzy29 View Post
    It is still painful to latch her on at this stage and sometimes have to take her off and reposition her as its too painful.
    as long as you get a good latch after repositioning, this is normal for a little baby. if you're never getting pain-free latches or nursing sessions, i recommend getting someone to help you evaluate the latch in person - LLL leader or IBCLC - because it CAN get better.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.