Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Aspartame/NutraSweet & Nursing

Default Aspartame/NutraSweet & Nursing

I wasn't sure where to put this topic so I put it here in this forum. My son is going on 8 weeks old this week. Is it okay to drink or eat anything with aspartame/nutrasweet in it? It's in so many foods, juices and sodas that I wanted to ask first before consumming anything out of concern that it wouldn't be okay or how it would effect my breastmilk.

Default Re: Aspartame/NutraSweet & Nursing

Here's a non-LLL link with some info about sweeteners.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mo....html#dietsoda

Mary

Thanks for the link to that article. Turns out the soda that I wanted to drink had Splenda in it. I'm so used to diet sodas having articial sweeteners that I didn't even notice that this one had been manufactured with Splenda. So I think I will look for Splenda in the diet sodas before picking them up as it is supposed to be safe for consumption in everything we eat and drink as it's a natural sugar.

I've heard that Splenda may be a problem too... that studies aren't even back yet about it because it's so new... they don't know what it may do.

I also heard that Splenda may be really bad. They had chemicals to it to reduce the calories. These chemicals act like toxins in our bodies. I don't know all the details, but they question how safe it actually is.

I will try to find some research articles with actual data on Splenda - but for now, I want to echo the concerns that people have started to post here. Splenda has not been around all that long so there isn't a TON of history on it, but there are some things coming out that make me want to never ingest it! The fact that is kind of looks, chemically speaking, like 'natural' sugar may be part of the problem. The human body sort of recognizes it, but since it's different, it can cause the immune system to do weird things when it gets into the body. Sorry; I'm doing this from memory and don't have details at hand. If I can come up with some facts that support my "avoid it!!" stance, I'll get back here with them.... when in doubt, though, better safe than sorry on this stuff.
    Jsmom (aka, kind-of-a-science-geek! )