Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two weeks plus, no poop?! Super efficient, or trouble?

Default Two weeks plus, no poop?! Super efficient, or trouble?

My poor baby has not pooped in 16 days. I heard Bm is efficient, but this seems ridiculous?

He is not distended, tries to poop, just nothing exits. Ped says pear juice, is this something standard?

Default Re: Two weeks plus, no poop?! Super efficient, or trouble?

This is unusual. Several days to a week between poops is common. Up to 2 weeks is still normal. But 2 weeks plus... It could still be normal. But it could be not, especially since baby seems to be trying to poop but cannot. Breastmilk has a laxative effect, and I don't know that pear or prune juice has any advantage over breastmilk. Still, it's worth trying! I'd also put baby in a warm bath when he seems to be trying to poop- that always got my girls to relax and poop. Of course, it means scrubbing out the tub... But I figured it wasn't that big a price to pay.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for that advice! I had to get in the tub with him to hold his legs up.. He started grunting the minute he hit the water and felt its warmth. A few minutes later the first of several "productions" shall we say landed in my lap. Not the best way to start the day, but I'm sure it was for him!

http://www.medschool.lsuhsc.edu/pedi...0dyschezia.pdf

hahah, awesome!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Rebecca.

Way too lazy for formula

I know, I know! I was thinking "I am going to get BUSTED for this advice". But I stand by it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Hooray for poop!

Great advice Mommal, as usual.
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alexx View Post
    Thanks for that advice! I had to get in the tub with him to hold his legs up.. He started grunting the minute he hit the water and felt its warmth. A few minutes later the first of several "productions" shall we say landed in my lap. Not the best way to start the day, but I'm sure it was for him!

http://www.medschool.lsuhsc.edu/pedi...0dyschezia.pdf
    Thanks for the link! I hadn't heard of infant dyschezia before, but we certainly get plenty of questions about what the articles describes. It'll be good to have an authoritative source to point to while saying "Nothing to worry about!"
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I am not sure why it would be bad to give advice? I know Bm is supposed to be laxative, and produce little waste... I was thinking an ounce or two of pear juice would jeopardize my already shaky supply by filling up the babes little belly. I wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience, as it is scary, even if the doc did not appeared worried. It was kind of empowering to read that the crying is actually functional. Here I though he was just hungry all the time, but he was prolly trying to poop! And of course, he'd rather nurse than face the unpleasantry of pooping!

Thank you to all you ladies for your support, you are my ONLY support, you know. :-(