Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bogus Failure To Thrive Diagnoses.

Default Re: Bogus Failure To Thrive Diagnoses.

. Yes, however he is a regular here at LLL things and mentions her and things he feels he did wrong or right in parenting.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

. What does he say he did WRONG?!?!?!

Way too lazy for formula

Iirc it was mostly ignore warning signs of addiction and be somewhat blinded by your love for your children
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

So sorry about your ped's ignorance. My son was diagnosed (correctly) with FTT as a 9 month old (because of complications resulting from his birth at 26 weeks) and it has truly haunted me since then. Doctors should realize how that phrase can impact a mother and be so very careful when considering that label. I still feel the sting of my son's growth issues, 3.5 years after that diagnosis. Great job fighting back and looking for a new doc!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    This happened to me when my DS2 was a baby. I fired that doctor and now love my BF friendly doctor Dr. Paul Fleiss. He's in LA if you are near I highly recomend him.
    I'm in central California, but thank you for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*filmmommy View Post
    Any doctor who advises feeding milk nature designed for a baby cow over milk designed for your own baby should have his or her license revoked! A woman in my new mom's support group said her pediatrician said she should also stop BFing and switching to cow's milk. When she realized her daughter had a dairy sensitivity, the pediatrician told the mom she was wrong and there was no sensitivity. I get very scared at things I keep hearing on this forum and elsewhere about what pediatricians are telling people. Mine has told me some crazy BS, but I think he knows I'm a researcher and will read about whatever he tells me.
    It really bothers me that pediatricians really receive little to no education on lactation. Seeing as it is what their patients should be eating, they should know about it!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*3kidsmama View Post
    So sorry about your ped's ignorance. My son was diagnosed (correctly) with FTT as a 9 month old (because of complications resulting from his birth at 26 weeks) and it has truly haunted me since then. Doctors should realize how that phrase can impact a mother and be so very careful when considering that label. I still feel the sting of my son's growth issues, 3.5 years after that diagnosis. Great job fighting back and looking for a new doc!
    Thank you! And try not to let his diagnoses haunt you; being born at 26 weeks and making it is amazing, you obviously did a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*raejoy View Post
    FTT implies more than just being a light-weight! The Romanian orphans? THEY were a TRUE case of FTT.
    Can you find a pedi that supports BF > 1 yr?
    I think another doctor in the practice is pretty supportive, so I'm going to go to him in a few weeks and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovebug0411 View Post
    That is just crazy. As the mom of a 17 month old who has always struggled to stay on the charts (and for several months didn't actually make it!), my heart goes out to you. It's terrible to be told by a doctor that your child isn't thriving (especially when you know they are wrong). My son's former pediatrician made me feel like a failure as a mother because he has always been small. His current pediatrician says he's fine if he is meeting milestones. I think you should definitely switch doctors. Good luck! Oh, and I totally think you should have shown her that you still have milk. lol
    I hate feeling like a failure even when I KNOW I'm doing a good job. It's maddening!

Thank you all for your support, it's good to know that I'm not being crazy. I'm going to try to turn this into a learning experience For her by putting together some information and write her a letter. Hopefully she will see that she was wrong and want to learn more. If not, well, that's just sad.