Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bogus Failure To Thrive Diagnoses.

Angry Bogus Failure To Thrive Diagnoses.

My 18 month old son was diagnosed "failure to thrive" a few days ago by a doctor who says that breastmilk has no value after one year. Her suggestion was to wean and give whole cows milk, which I do not agree with and I will not do. My son has met all milestones on time or ahead of time, except for talking. She sat there and said "he looks great but the growth chart looks bad so I am diagnosing failure to thrive." This was after insulting me by asking if I was "sure I actually had any milk." (I told her that yes, I do and I could show her!) I am so angry!

I'm not looking for ways to fatten him up because he is fine. He isn't a calf so I don't expect him to grow like one. His growth has been slow, but steady. He is still "on" the chart, and healthy in every way so I seriously don't understand why she'd give this diagnoses.

I'm just trying to see how many other people this has happened to and how you've dealt with it. I plan on seeing a breastfeeding friendly doctor for a second opinion in a few weeks. I guess I'm just looking for solidarity.

Default Re: Bogus Failure To Thrive Diagnoses.

grr! sorry mama.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

This happened to me when my DS2 was a baby. I fired that doctor and now love my BF friendly doctor Dr. Paul Fleiss. He's in LA if you are near I highly recomend him.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

FTT implies more than just being a light-weight! The Romanian orphans? THEY were a TRUE case of FTT.
    Can you find a pedi that supports BF > 1 yr?
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

OMG! Jenna! Heidi Fleiss's Dad is your Pedi?!?! THAT. IS. AAAWWWEESOME!

Way too lazy for formula

That is disgusting and a real insult to those babies who are truly FTT. I am glad that you know better. I hope you have an easy time finding another doctor.

Any doctor who advises feeding milk nature designed for a baby cow over milk designed for your own baby should have his or her license revoked! A woman in my new mom's support group said her pediatrician said she should also stop BFing and switching to cow's milk. When she realized her daughter had a dairy sensitivity, the pediatrician told the mom she was wrong and there was no sensitivity. I get very scared at things I keep hearing on this forum and elsewhere about what pediatricians are telling people. Mine has told me some crazy BS, but I think he knows I'm a researcher and will read about whatever he tells me.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

That is just crazy. As the mom of a 17 month old who has always struggled to stay on the charts (and for several months didn't actually make it!), my heart goes out to you. It's terrible to be told by a doctor that your child isn't thriving (especially when you know they are wrong). My son's former pediatrician made me feel like a failure as a mother because he has always been small. His current pediatrician says he's fine if he is meeting milestones. I think you should definitely switch doctors. Good luck! Oh, and I totally think you should have shown her that you still have milk. lol

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    OMG! Jenna! Heidi Fleiss's Dad is your Pedi?!?! THAT. IS. AAAWWWEESOME!
    Yep Carolin goes to him too for J.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    Yep Carolin goes to him too for J.
    Would it be totally inappropriate to say "So how's your daughter?"

Way too lazy for formula