Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding AT work?

Default Breastfeeding AT work?

Hello,

Today was my first day at a part time job in a childcare room for a fitness facility. I work 2.5 hours a day, Monday through Friday. I am allowed to bring my daughter, who is 15 months old, with me. She is still nursing. This morning while at work, it was my daughter's nap time and she is not yet used to being in the childcare room. She began to cry and so I put her on my lap and began nursing her to try to calm her and get her to take her nap.
    My boss happened to walk in to get something from a closet, and began chatting with me for a full minute before stopping mid sentence and whispering "oh my gosh, are you breastfeeding?" I replied that I was, and she said I had to stop because I was not allowed to "do that in here". I told her that I was allowed, and she continued to come up with reasons (the parents will complain, you have to cover up, you can't possibly pay attention to the other children, etc.) why I needed to stop and I calmly told her that I did not and that should anything happen with the children I would be just as able to handle it while breastfeeding as I would had my daughter just been napping (which she had commented, before realizing she was nursing, was "too cute!"). She then commented "Well, you didn't tell me you were breastfeeding when I interviewed you!" This worried me. I would very much like to keep this job.

Was I right? Should I discourage my child from nursing in the future? Am I legally protected?

Thanks in advance. I live in Florida if that makes any difference.

Default Re: Breastfeeding AT work?

Welcome to the forum!

It does matter that you're in Florida. Florida law says "The breastfeeding of a baby is an important and basic act of nurture which must be encouraged in the interests of maternal and child health and family values. *A mother may breastfeed her baby in any location, public or private, where the mother is otherwise authorized to be, irrespective of whether or not the nipple of the mother’s breast is covered during or incidental to the breastfeeding."

More information available here: http://www.flbreastfeeding.org/legislation.htm

If you are fired for nursing your child, I think you'd have an excellent discrimination case. Not that you want to go there! I think it makes sense to address this with your boss in as non-confrontational a way as possible. Let her know that a) you're sorry that nursing has come up as an issue which your boss thinks may impact your job performance, b) that you didn't think for one moment that this would be an issue, and therefore never thought to mention it, and c) that you'd like to discuss any concerns she has about nursing and your job, and explain why you can nurse and do your job at the same time.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Mommal - do you know if there is an exact definition of "baby" in this legislation? I note that the child is 15 months, which the boss might bring up as not being a "baby" anymore. She should probably be prepared to answer that.

I love how people have this tendency to turn their OWN hang-ups into something about the situation that has nothing to do with them. My guess is the boss was uncomfortable and projected that onto some perceived problem with the situation. I totally agree that nursing would not in the slightest prevent you from doing your job (and in any case, if something came up that did require you to stop nursing to handle - you just stop at the time.).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manitobamommy View Post
    Mommal - do you know if there is an exact definition of "baby" in this legislation? I note that the child is 15 months, which the boss might bring up as not being a "baby" anymore. She should probably be prepared to answer that.
    IDK. I haven't read the legislation carefully enough to know the answer to that. Many of these laws are very imprecisely worded when it comes to the definition of what a "baby" is.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hello,
    Thank you very much for your responses. I called the breastfeeding peer counselor at my local WIC office. I explained the situation, and she reassured me that what I did was correct and that I am allowed to breastfeed my daughter since they told me that she is allowed to be there with me in the childcare room. She said that they promote the WHO recommendation of breastfeeding into toddler-hood, and that my daughter has just as much of a right to be breastfed as a newborn under the law. She found an article online where another location of this company had a similar issue with a mother being asked to stop or cover up when nursing her child in the childcare room of their facility. The head of the company released a statement ensuring the company's commitment to making all breastfeeding moms feel comfortable nursing their babies at their facilities nationwide. She had me print this statement, along with a copy of the Florida law and advised me to take it with me to work should a problem arise from nursing my daughter in the future. She also set me up as a volunteer peer counselor, which I am very excited about!

Thank you again. I hope that I do not have any more incidents like the one today.
    Last edited by @llli*jadiesmama; October 12th, 2012 at 08:58 PM. Reason: misspelled word

YAY for WIC for being so on top of that for you!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    YAY for WIC for being so on top of that for you!