Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When to stop cosleeping

Default Re: When to stop cosleeping

A friend of mine was still cosleeping with her daughter at the age of nine (at least some of the time). The daughter was clamoring to have a little sibling. They had a discussion about "the birds and the bees". Response "ew, gross!!!". Daughter decided to spend more time in her own bed.

Default Re: When to stop cosleeping

i heard she wont sleep on her own even she gets older.
    I have heard this to. It's something parents are told a lot but I have no idea if it has any basis in any studies or fact. Some kids have a harder time going into their own bed at any age, just as some kids have more difficulty than others starting day care or school and anything else that involves separating from their mommy. Is there any evidence that making a child sleep in a separate room at a very young age leads to better sleep outcomes down the line? Not that I am aware of.

I was not breastfed, and I slept on my own in a crib in my own room from the day I got home from the hospital as a newborn. I know my parents never would have considered themselves 'co sleepers' or 'bedsharers' or anything of the kind. But I have clear memories of "sneaking' into their bed at night. I must have been at least four. When they told me I had to stop, I brought a blanket and slept on the floor at the foot of their bed, which once resulted in my getting stepped on by my dad in the middle of the night, terrifying us both. My point being, the fact that my parents NEVER 'let' me sleep in thier bed did not result in me not needing that closeness so much I risked getting stepped on by a very large man to get it. I think it is normal for kids to feel the need to be near their parents at night. As long as everyone gets enough sleep overall, why not honor that need?

Both of our sons co-slept with us from birth or early babyhood. My oldest started sleeping in his own room at three and a half. This was when the bed got too crowded for ME a few months after our second baby was born. Once we made the decision that we wanted him to sleep in his own room, the transition took maybe a week of adjustment starting with getting him excited about his own bed with a special Thomas pillow. All in all, the transition was pretty easy. Our second started sleeping in the same room as his brother all on his own when he got to about the same age. I did not have to encourage it at all, in fact, I missed him! We have always maintained a more or less 'open bed' policy for illness or nightmares or just feeling lonely. But almost never was this needed after the first few months. Basically they quickly learned to love and even prefer sleeping in their own beds. Now they are both school age and bedtimes are usually easy at our house and the boys sleep fantastic. So in my family's case, it certainly was not true that having a family bed in the early years caused any sleep/bedtime issues later.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; October 12th, 2012 at 11:49 PM.