Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dairy sensitivity

Default Dairy sensitivity

Hi all!

So, I know there is a ton of information for this online, but I have some more specific questions. My son is 4 weeks old and I'm beginning to suspect a possible allergy. I think it's likely to be dairy and am trying an elimination diet. My question is, it's been 48 hours and I've noticed quite an improvement-- is that possible? It seems soon... But his diapers have gone back to yellow (still with mucus, but not green), he's stopped sneezing constantly, spit-up is waaaay down, and the rash all over his face and chest is lessening.

My other question is, if it isn't that severe, will I be able to eat dairy in moderation while breastfeeding or will that just increase his immune response and make it more likely that he'll carry this allergy?

Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Dairy sensitivity

I would call a rash, puke and sneezing COMBINED a pretty severe reaction. However I am not sure to what. If it is to dairy....that kind of reaction so soon in is a little surprising. I wonder if you have somehow eliminated something other than dairy by accident by eliminating dairy. Did you only eliminate dairy or are you on an elimination diet?

Way too lazy for formula

I'm a big milk drinker, but for the first couple of weeks really had an aversion to dairy. Once I realized I wasn't intaking any I worried about getting enough calcium. I noticed his symptoms after, so that's why I was thinking it was milk. I also cut out caffeine and chocolate (just in case, but I noticed I was eating it in excess anyway). So, not quite an elimination diet...

I thought that maybe since it improved so quickly that it wasn't too severe.

Well just and FYI I drink coconut milk and eat coconut yogurt and you actually get way MORE absorbable calcium (dairy is full of calcium but we as humans don't absorb very much of it) with way less fat! You can get the coconut milk and yogurt at Trader joes for very reasonable prices. If you are worried about calcium.
    Honestly there is a difference between diary sensitivity and actual allergy. But the rash is something you definitely see with the allergy. Was there blood in his poop before or was it just green and mucousy?

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks; I'll stop by trader joes today. There was no blood, just green and mucus. I wasn't sure about the rash (I thought it was just baby acne) until it got pretty bad and spread down his neck and torso. Now it's improving with everything else. Does it sound more like allergy or sensitivity? Dang! I was so excited for such an easy nursing relationship!

I'd stick with a dairy-free diet with those reactions. If it's any consolation, sometimes allergies/sensitivities arise from an immature digestive system and resolve with time. Another possibility is that your LO reacts to large quantities of dairy but is fine below a lower threshold. My son has multiple sensitivities--wheat being the worst--but after a gluten challenge, he seems to be outgrowing it after 6 months of exclusion. (*fingers crossed!!*). This may well pass.

The rash was a big indicator for us. It was a sensitivity which he outgrew. The average range is 6-18 months. I could usually get away with eating a bit of dairy, as in one piece of cheese or pizza a day, with no problems. I stayed away from actual milk though. It seemed to bother him worse and after a little while I found it to taste disgusting anyway. I tried all the alternative milks and settled on rice milk for my cereal. Coconut milk yogurt is very yummy. I used hummus on sandwiches instead of cheese. You'll figure out what works for you and your little man!
    At about ten months I stopped limiting my diet. At thirteen months I started feeding him bits of dairy. He developed a rash again. So I waited a few weeks and tried again. Now (15 mo) he drinks milk with dh at dinnertime.

Mine has been dairy-sensitive, too. I've found I can get away with small amounts of cheese, butter, and yogurt (yogurt does increase his spitting-up, though, but not the rash). But milk and ice cream were the big offenders (I can eat products prepared with milk okay, like pancakes and cookies and such, as long as the milk gets cooked). Last time I had a little milk (like seriously, less than a quarter cup) he got a really bad rash, that was when he was maybe 4 months. He's 7 months now, but I haven't tried reintroducing cow's milk. Now that I've figured out how to make my own nut and seed milks (so many possibilities!), I'm not as interested in the cow's milk anyway.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Thank you all SO much. I really appreciate you sharing your stories

I was wondering... Did any of your kiddos have a problem with the carseat also? I've been avoiding going places for the past several weeks because he just melts down in the car. Then today we were in the car for a total of 2 hours with no fussing! I'm so hopeful.

Yup, he still hates car rides if he's alone in the back. He's super active and hardly sits in a high chair either...it's go, go, go. I discovered that his inability to see out the window was the main trigger, so finding a good raised seat is key.

The way I got him to tolerate the car was to drive every day for about a month, starting with just around the block and then stretching to 30 mins. We live in the downtown core of a major city, so I walk everywhere wearing him and only drive about once a month.

For longer trips, someone has to be in the back seat with him. Last weekend, we did an hour and a half in the car on a little trip out of the city and I read about 30 books to him consecutively to keep him engaged.

When in doubt, I can contort myself in the back to nurse him while we drive. Not my preferred choice.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by @llli*alphawoman; October 12th, 2012 at 06:02 PM.