Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low weight gain - should I be concerned?

Exclamation Low weight gain - should I be concerned?

Hi,
    my son was 7.10 at birth, weighted 11.1 at 2 months and then at his 4 month check up this week was only 12.7.

So that means he has gained 22 oz in 2 months. Should I be concerned by this amount of weight gain?

Also in that time he has become much more quick to seem like he is done nursing, come on and off a lot, bite, pull back, etc. i don't think I have any problems with supply tho as there is always milk there when he is "done". I did have OALD and I think I have regulated some, perhaps he's just too used to milk coming fast and isn't good at working hard for it? Thoughts on what I shoudl do?

Default Re: Low weight gain - should I be concerned?

How many times a day is he nursing? At least 8-12? Is it maybe distractability causing the fussiness at breast, and if so have you tried a dim, quiet room to nurse? Different positions like laid back or side lying to help with possible OALD? How are his sleeping habits at night? could you add another feeding then? did he grow in height and head circumference as well?
    I'm not sure the exact averages for infants at that age.

Did your pediatrician express concern?

Ditto the pp question about height and head growth. And is he hitting his milestones?

Good questions from the PPs. His weight gain does seem a bit slow- see this chart for breastfed babies: http://kellymom.com/images/growth/growthcharts.gif. But hat doesn't mean it's abnormal- there are healthy babies in all percentiles! And statistically speaking, there are just as many healthy babies in the bottom 1% as there are in the top 99%. If your baby seems healthy and happy and is growing in other dimensions (height, head circumference), and is nursing frequently, then there's probably no reason to get concerned. Nevertheless, it wouldn't hurt to try nursing a little more often, and see if that changes anything.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

He has grown in both length and head circumference. In fact he has grown 5 inches since birth.

He probably eats ever 2.5 hours during the day and once or twice at night. But during the day they are often short and distracted nursings. I have a barely 2 year old around and I think she distracts him. I think I have often thought he was done when perhaps he wasn't. He very rarely demands to eat or cues clearly, so I just feed him when he wakes up, which is like I said about 2.5 hours after the last time. Then he is up for about an hour total and goes back to sleep for about an hour to an hour and a half. I often wonder if I'm feeding him too often as he'll only take a little and its all foremilk (his poop is forest green as well). I had been nursing one-sided most of the last few months because of OALD and oversupply, but recently have been offering the other side after he has made it clear he is done with the first and he'll take it for a while. I'm wondering if he is just used to a fast easy flow and doesn't want to work hard for the fatty hind milk.

The pediatrician wasn't concerned. My older daughter was FTT at about 4 months though, so its easy to be concerned. She ended up having a chronic lung disease that contributed to the problem.

If your doctor's not concerned, I wouldn't worry. If you want, you can offer the breast more often. For instance, offer when he wakes up, then every 1 hour while he's awake and nurse again to sleep.

Babies this age can be very distractable and wiggly when they nurse. Normally I would suggest nursing in a quiet dark room but I'm not sure this is possible if you've got a 2 year old running around.

Can you wrap him in a blanket while he nurses to make him feel more secure? And also maybe using a nursing cover so he can't see your 2 year old's antics?

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain/
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Looks like your baby is gaining weight very slowly because even when he was 2 month he should’ve weighted 16 pounds up to 20 (giving that he should weight at 2 months between 11-25 pounds) so he was on the minimum weight, and by 4 months at 12 lb is way too low, he is like 5 below percentile.
    Try to eat lean beef and salmon, they going to help your breast milk may be you need to make it more fatty but unsaturated fats like olive oils.
    How to gain weight and not affect your health, Every mother needs to gain healthy weight during pregnancy because you are eating for two.

My DD went through something VERY similar - right around 4 months, her feedings went from 30 minutes to 15 minutes and I freaked out. I tried feeding more often too. Poop turned green, and I thought "too much foremilk???" and nearly had a meltdown. It went away all on it's own She is also a peanut - at 4 months she was around the 25%, but continued to drop until just this last month when she had a big gain (went from 6% to 16%). If you DS is a happy healthy baby, meeting milestones and peeing/pooping well, then I think you are in good shape.

If you want to, you can pump after he eats and then store/freeze it for a time that you may be away from him or for when he turns 6 months and you need to mix something with cereal/fruits/veggies! That way, he'll get that fatty milk at some point