Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When will it go away?

Default When will it go away?

Hi,
    We have been dealing with thrush since about 3 weeks. It started that my left nipple started itching me and then I spotted white spots in LO mouth. I started doing GSE every day, bought probiotic for LO, I’m taking probiotic, drinking kefir, plain yoghurt and avoiding sugar. On top of it we are boiling pacifiers, cleaning toys with vinegar and I’m going braless for past week. The thrush doesn’t affect any of LO feedings and I’m not in pain either. We saw our pediatrician and he said that whatever we have been doing is keeping thrush under control. He also said that it will go away but it may take longer. Just in case he gave us prescription for Nystatin but I’m not sure about it since so many women says it doesn’t work. So the question is should it last that long? It is not affecting us so should I just continue what I’m doing and wait till it goes away. To be honest I’m just tired of it.

Default Re: When will it go away?

Are you doing the GSE in LO's mouth too? I had been using it on my nipples, but it didn't make a difference for me until I started swabbing it in DD's mouth. I didn't find the nystatin helped at all. To be fair though, DD never had white patches, I was the one who was symptomatic. Otherwise, I would just keep doing what you're doing to keep it at bay. A total pain in the butt, I know, but worth it to avoid the pain in the nipples!

WHy don't you just take one of those 3 day oral treatments for a yeast infection? While continuing to take the probiotics? That seems like the easiest quickest way to kick yeast.

Way too lazy for formula

Yes i have been doing in his mouth also. It looks like i'm fine right now no itching. I tought he was fine also but yesterday i saw white patches on the inside of his upper lip. My question is will it go away should i just continue what I'm doing or move on to different things.
    What oral medicine are you talking about?

Oral fluconazole is suggested when topical tratments have been ineffective. Suggested Dosages for mom are outlined on this protocol from Jack Newman: http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

My understanding is baby can be treated with an oral suspension of fluconazole, at least, that is suggested in Breastfeeding Answers Made Simple (Mohrbacher, 2010. page 654)