Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump-weaning and nigh-weaning, and doubts, oh my!

Default Pump-weaning and nigh-weaning, and doubts, oh my!

Hi ladies.

I can hardly believe it, but my daughter is turing one tomorrow. I didn't dare to dream that we are going to make it this far through the awful early days of around-the-clock nursing, poor latch, and my bad response to the pump once I went back to work. But yet, here we are.

Now, to some practical issues. I've started working on dropping pumping sessions while at work and now down to pumping x2 a day instead of my usual x3. It's really quiete liberating, but I'm also having mixed feelings after working so hard for months on end to pump enough to see my daytime supply dwindle. I'm sure you can relate.

DD still wakes up at least 3x at night to nurse (typically 12am, 4am, and 6am). Even despite cosleeping, I would so love it if we could somehow drop one of these, but I worry about her not getting enough milk if I encourage that, since she is in the 4% weight-wise.

What do you think? Should I just concentrate on pump-weaning for now and let her nurse as much as she needs to at night? Her solids intake is OK, but not great and she hated cow's milk when I tried giving it to her. She usually nurses x3 a day otherwise, once in the morning, and x2 at night. Given my work and commute schedule I don't think I can squeeze anymore daytime nursing sessions during the work week.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Default Re: Pump-weaning and nigh-weaning, and doubts, oh my!

Good for you for pumping to a year! That is hard work! And happy birthday to your little one.

I would not pump wean and night wean at the same time. I pump weaned with both of my girls at around a year and was able to continue nursing anytime they wanted on the weekends. I think if I had night weaned, that my supply would have disappeared. Since I don't get much nursing in during the day on work-days, I'm not interested in restricting Trixie's intake at night. I felt the same way about Lilah at that age, who woke a ton.

If I were you, I would work on pump-weaning and wait and see how things go with the night-waking after her molars come in and she gets more mobility. Also, you're worried about her getting enough calories, it sounds like - so night-weaning just doesn't sound like a good idea.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I agree with Tracie. I think I would focus on pump weaning for now, particularly given her small size and the fact that you've still got two bouts with molars to get through.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks, ladies.

I guess I have to pick one *sigh* No sleeping through the night for me just yet.

I hate to break it to you luckypixie, but when you had a baby you signed on for no sleeping through the night for a long time to come. I have a friend that sleep trains her babies at 5 months old but as soon as they are big enough to leave their rooms, she's woken up at least once a night by at least one of her kids. Let go of the idea that you can and should be sleeping through the night and it won't be as stressful for you. I understand how you are feeling - I felt that way for a long time when Lilah was a baby. But when I finally just let go of the idea that she should be sleeping 12 hours in a row - or even 3! - I felt better about it. And as a working mama - I don't get to respond to my child during the day when she needs me - I am NOT going to ignore her cries at night. I know that's not what you were saying you wanted to do - just my thought process.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months