Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Grunting 3.5 week old

Default Grunting 3.5 week old

My sister has a new little boy who is 3 1/2 weeks old. She has ebf all of her children and had significant troubles with gas in the other 2 babies. Her new LO has been better, but has taken to grunting for about 3 hours during the night. My baby grunted, but nothing like this! He eats about every 3 hours during the night and seems satisfied, but the grunting has all of us concerned. It's kind of a painful sounding noise.

I am writing in her stead because she's busy and overwhelmed with homeschooling and caring for all of her kids (not to mention lack of sleep!) She is thinking of taking the dreaded "giving up foods" route, which I hate to see her do because she did it with the other two and all it got her was more frustrated and depressed, so I am very concerned that she might end up eating dry chicken and white rice again. She has even said she would do formula before doing the dry chicken/rice thing again, so I really am looking to help her find answers. I do know she has OALD and an oversupply, as do I. I suggested that she try the alternative nursing positions, like laid-back and side-lying, but she doesn't seem to think they work.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Grunting 3.5 week old

I think a reclined nursing position is an excellent first thing to try! She also might want to try putting a pillow under the mattress at the head of baby's crib, so that her head is somewhat upright. If there's a reflux issue going on, having her head elevated may help those tummy contents stay down where they belong.

If she has OS/OALD, is she doing anything about that? Like block feeding?

Are there any actual signs of a food allergy? nightwaking, hives/rash/eczema, diaper rash or redness around the anus, excessive spit up or gas? There are more symptoms, I just can't get to my book wo waking ds up. Is there a diagnosed history of family having allergies (not just her trying an elimination diet with the other two)? If not I wouldn't suggest eliminating anything.

If it's just grunting, without other symptoms of allergies (as listed above), then I would say it's normal. Both my kids were "grunters" in their sleep - especially DD. And honestly, she would be asleep while she was grunting! I would hear it on the monitor and rush in to her room, and she'd be sound asleep, just grunting away. They stopped doing it after about 4 or 5 weeks old, maybe? I honestly wouldn't worry about it unless there are other signs baby is in pain or distress. I think it's just their systems learning how to function outside of the womb. It's a big job - learning how to consume and digest food all on your own!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

if this baby grunts louder than my little girl has been doing since birth practically i'd be very surprised. She is way, way louder than her brothers were. it is only now, at 2 months, that it is settling down. i am sure it was/is due to digestion sensations, i have forceful let down and i am sure that is related. But she is gaining great and is healthy. there is no way i would change my diet over some grunting! my oldest had gerd and in my experience, when a baby is in pain, they scream, cry, and fuss an incredible amount and don't stop. some loud grunting sounds normal imo. When my baby gets too grunty at night I pick her up and lay in a reclined position with her on my chest so her head is above her tummy. That usually works
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; October 10th, 2012 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks, everyone! I will pass the info and encouragement on to her. The grunting sounds painful, but I'm not sure whether he is asleep or awake. I will ask her about any other allergy symptoms. My sister herself is very sensitive to foods like wheat and milk (not allergic, but sensitive), so that could be what makes her think of the food allergies as a possibility.