Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cracked and need help!!!

Default Cracked and need help!!!

So i have a crack on one of my nipples. The cream i put on it seems to heal it in between feedings but seems to opens back up wen she feeds on it. Id rather not pump from that side and feed from other because im being treated for thrush and one side doesnt seem to satisfy her roght now. Any advice? I cant tell if it hurts because of crack or thrush. BTW it isnt bleeding.

Default Re: Cracked and need help!!!

Thrush is painful, but the crack can be painful too. How are you treating the thrush? If you want the crack to heal faster it might be better if you pump that side. Make sure you air them babies out!!
    09-28-2011 VB (41 Weeks 1 Day) Breastfeeding 12 months & counting.

If you don't get any relief, you can ask your doctor for a Rx of Jack Newman's All Purpose Nipple Ointment. It works wonders.

Very normal for cracks to reopen when baby feeds. How's the baby's latch on that side? Does the nipple ever emerge from baby's mouth looking asymmetrical/wedged/creased/ridged/like a new lipstick? And is the crack small and slit-like, or is it more of a single large sore?

I am currently using that cream and it is more of a slit than a sore. My nipple doesnt come out creased or nething. The cream im using has an anti fungal in it and thats all im getting for thrush cuz it is only in my nipples.

Okay, slit-like cracks and nipples that don't emerge creased or flattened from baby's mouth- to me, that adds up to thrush being the root cause of the crack. Cure the thrush and the crack should heal.

Is baby being treated for thrush as well as you?

Yea i give baby nystatin three times a day...i go tomorrow to give a milk culture to confirn thrush but after a week of using cream im still having symptoms so imma try to get something stronger.

I read organic coconut oil helps heal cracked nipples too. But I agree if you cure the thrush it should heal. =) Hope you're nipple is feeling better soon!! Lol.
    09-28-2011 VB (41 Weeks 1 Day) Breastfeeding 12 months & counting.