Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dropping percentile points on growth chart?

Default Dropping percentile points on growth chart?

My daughter's 4 month check up is in 2 weeks and I'm wondering whether her pediatrician will have issues with her (likely) drop in percentile points? She was in the 35th percentile at her 2 month check up and, according to my calculations, she'll be at the 25th this time. Is that a big drop? At what age do they expect babies to "find their curve" and basically stick with it?

My daughter seems to just be a super laid back nurser. She rarely demands - I offer much more often. I dream feed her a few times overnight to help her intake and keep my supply up. She nurses 9-10 times overall, but like I said, very few of those are because she has cued. She very vocally refuses if I offer more often. I do breast compressions to keep her going as long as possible and let her finish one side before offering another. Etc, etc, etc. I really feel like I'm doing everything possible to get as much milk into her as possible. Her weight gains were 7+ ounces per week through about week 8, but have averaged 5 ounces since then.

Just trying to prepare myself if her doctor has issues...

Thanks!

Default Re: Dropping percentile points on growth chart?

*5 ounces per week

Whether or not your kid's pediatrician will have issues with her weight gain depends on your pediatrician. I think my pediatrician would probably be okay with it- both my kids dropped percentiles at their 4 month checkups, and all she did was nod and say "look, she's doing that thing all my breastfed babies do- leaning out". They both went from about the 95-100th centimes for weight to about the 75-80th- a bigger drop than what you're seeing, but starting with a much larger baby so of course there was less concern.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks. I'm hoping he's like your doc. I guess I'll find out soon...

She's happy and alert and developing great, so all of that should outweigh (no pun intended) a slight drop in her curve.

I guess I wonder if it's a concern that my daughter is so laid-back about eating. I keep trying to remind myself that it's far more likely that she's getting plenty of milk and isn't cueing because she has what she needs...as opposed to her having a low appetite/low desire to eat for some other reason. (My PTSD flaring up from my son's experiences. His failure to thrive diagnosis still hits me hard.)