Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Abscess-- going in for I&D tomorrow

Default Abscess-- going in for I&D tomorrow

I'm scared and shaken up by the whole thing. The breast surgeon tried draining the abscess with a needle but the fluid is too thick. I'll be packing the wound myself--that's what frightens me the most. Anybody else had the same experience? What was changing the dressing like? How did healing progress?

Thanks.

Default Re: Abscess-- going in for I&D tomorrow

Oh, gosh, I'm so sorry, mama! I haven't been through this process, but I did have a breast biopsy while nursing and had to work hard to heal that wound. Are you on antibiotics? That didn't clear the mastitis/abscess?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I'm on penicillin but the breast surgeon said that it wouldn't clear the abscess. She's very encouraging of breastfeeding. Unfortunately the abscess is not close to the surface so she's going to have to cut very deeply, but it's far enough away from the nipple that pumping will still be possible.

The whole premise has me freaked out. After suddenly finding out that surgery was necessary, and then the failed needle aspiration, I cried all afternoon yesterday. None of my friends had this experience and I don't have anybody to tell me what to expect.

I'm so sorry, mama! I don't really know much about the process you're about to embark on, but I want to assure you that we'll be here to give whatever support we can!

You must be in so much pain!! The good news is that draining the abscess will put you on the path to recovery. When I was healing up my wound, I found nursing was generally easier than pumping, although I was able to pump as well. But the horns were pretty close to my incision spot so it was harder.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Oh. That hurts SO MUCH. As in. more than the sutures after vaginal delivery.

The doctor found a mass of necrotic tissue, but not the fluid she was expecting. She said that the infection might have cleared up with the penicillin. Ugh.

hang in there. Obviously, i can't comment on your situation, but "necrotic tissue" is dead tissue. It usually eventually liquifies and turns into an abscess. The surgical teaching is that dead tissue needs to be removed or else it'll cause more infection and badness. I am not a breast surgeon but I do a lot of operations on breast.

Hang in there It'll be a long slow recovery, but I wouldn't necessarily feel regretful for undergoing the procedure.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pestle View Post
    Oh. That hurts SO MUCH. As in. more than the sutures after vaginal delivery.
    Ugh, I'm so sorry you're in so much pain! I hope you get some relief and some rest SOON.

You can call me JoMo!