Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this all normal for almost 6 month old?

Default Is this all normal for almost 6 month old?

Hi there ladies

I have a few questions about where we are with our Nursing relationship at this point. It would be great to hear other Mama's who BTDT and to know if this is all normal or what.

LO is almost 6 months old
    Nursing, for the most part, has been the single most wonderful experience of my life! I see now how one can continue on into toddlerhood and beyond! It has continually gotten better and better for us. We did have some bumps in the road though, but once we got to 3 months it REALLY got so much better.

But I feel like the LO is so easily distracted these days... I mean, really distracted. Like, we cannot nurse in public. It's just NOT going to happen. And even at home. It has to be dark, quiet and only when he is ready for a nap.And so ok. I just deal with it and as long as this is normal I'm cool with it. And some days, I can barely get him to nurse after 3-4 hours!!! I mean, I have ALWAYS nursed on request. This has been going on since 3 months, but it goes back and forth. I am hoping my supply wont be affected? I just don't feel like we nurse very much anymore. ? I haven't been trying to worry too much, but it has slowly gotten worse since 3 months. And I feel like my supply started regulating at that time. Not very full anymore...etc. but for some reason, it just worries me. My letdowns are like - 'soft' now and less forceful. And sometimes I don't feel them.

(ETA: Weight gain and output has always been fine. )

We are starting BLS/BLW soon as well! I have read and keep finding great resources for this, but I still feel clueless! I know to offer to nurse before. How much should they be eating of solids though, as we are just beginning? How does that affect my supply?

(ETA: OK- this is really burning me up! My Mom is telling me that LO is so HUNGRY and it's breaking her heart to see him reach for food. Ok, like he is very interested when were eating, and curious. Grabbing for it and such. But is he really HUNGRY for real food? This just does not sit right with me or make sense. I have had to stick to my guns in tough situations with fam who struggle with my approaches. And they dont even realize it, ya know! This is really bringing me down, because my Mom is the best and has helped me so. )

Also, we have never done bottles. Should I worry about introducing one at this point or just try a sippy cup? (If I gave a sippy of EBM, to play and try out, do I still need to pump?) I am getting another flare up of criticism from fam about no bottle. And in an emergency, I am wondering secretly too? I am just not very confident about certain things although I dont see any point now?

Seems like we are turning a corner and just need some reassurance.:

Thanks for the advice! I am just at another stage and I find all of your input invaluable!

Erin
    FTM 4.24.12

Erin

Default Re: Is this all normal for almost 6 month old?

Well reading this I feel like I could have wrote it at that time in mine and my DD's nursing relationship! Everything you described about him being distracted is super normal! My daughter was the same way. They are hitting new milestones and exploring more and more, nursing is just not as interesting anymore. My DD will dreamfeed about 85% of the time, and this has been happening since about 7-8 months. But now she is 1 year old she does alot more comfort nursing, awake! =)

As for your Mom, at 6 months it is okay to start solids if you want to but not necessary. If he is gaining weight and growing well, and you said he is, then he dosen't need the solids. But I think expessing a sippy cup now should be fine. My DD was never a bottle drinker either. If it makes you feel better, pump and store some ebm in the freezer. Sounds like you are doing great!
    09-28-2011 VB (41 Weeks 1 Day) Breastfeeding 12 months & counting.

the distraction stuff is normal. it picked up again for us eventually. we stopped nip completely and did dark rooms only. i got her to nurse in the car eventually just through repetition--it became boring enough! you might try that. just make the car familiar (same pillow for example), practice feedings in there. it let me get out way more with my distractable baby.

there will be ups and downs after baby gets more mobile. some weeks they can't get enough milk and others they really cut back and just eat at night. its hard to predict!

there is no need to do bottles. keep sticking to your guns. tell your mom to relax you got it covered. she got her shot with you and now you are the mama. this is one of many things family picks on. if you give in too much they will feel entitled to try to run the show, which is never fun. read up more on bls, as much as you can, so you feel empowered to stand your ground.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

with the PPs. I just wanted to bring up something that has been posted here which struck me as a really good piece of advice, which is to just say "no" and leave it at that when you're dealing with unwanted advice. Because when you over-explain, getting into the technicalities of BLS or the signs of readiness for solids, it makes you sound like you're on the defensive, like maybe you could be convinced if the pushy person just... pushed... a little... HARDER! So the next time your mom says "Look, he's hungry!" just reply "No he's not". Done. If she keeps pushing, just say "This isn't up for discussion, mom. If I want your advice on solids, I'll ask for it".

Oh- and I have 2 kids. One got a bottle from early on because I had difficulties nursing her. But we overcame those difficulties and after around 3 months she never had another bottle. My second kid never had a bottle, and that never caused a single problem. At one point, we did have a situation where I had to go to the emergency ward- but I just took her along and nursed her there. No biggy!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Um...YES, Mommal. You are right on the money, with explaining my reasoning for BLS ( and anything else) = mother pushing ---->>>>> just a little bit more--->>> so ofcourse it can eventually click! Since I keep entertaining it and over- explaining. Resolution to stop this at once!

Oakdryad5- thx for encouragement. I will def still keep up on my reading.

Newmom1987- thx for your take so hood to hear from mamas who know what you're going through.

Still wondering though- is it ok for baby to really stretch out times in between AND adding in some solids? I know I should glad were at his point. just don want to lose my supply. Thx ladies!
    FTM 4.24.12

Erin

As long as you continue to nurse on demand, and offer frequently if baby is just too distracted to nurse, and offer the breast before solids, everything should be okay.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"