Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New here and I have a few questions

Default New here and I have a few questions

Hello I am a mother of 2. I breastfed my son 6 years ago. And now I have a newborn who is 5 weeks and 4 days old. I feel as though I am learning everything all over again with my daughter.

My questions, my daughter's poop is green and she is just breastfed, but I have been giving her gas drops because she seems gassy. She only gets comfort on her belly during the day. Is the green poop normal?

If I was to feed her say at 8:00 in the morning, could I pump at 9:00 so I can store that milk and then fed her again around 10:30? I just want to help keep my milk flow going as much as possible. My daughter is like my son was only eats for about 5 minutes and is completely done until it is time to eat again.

At night when she goes to bed, she normally wakes up about every 3 to 3 1/2 hours at night is that okay? The doctor told me that I was not to wake her up unless she sleeps past 4 hours and does not wake up to fed. Now with my son they told me every 2 1/2 hours no matter what.

Thank you all for taking the time to answer. I don't have anyone else to ask this since I don't have any friends who have breastfed their children.

Default Re: New here and I have a few questions

Green poop can be normal, it depends on how much discomfort you feel your daughter is in. Given the gassiness and the green poop, it sounds like you might have a touch of oversupply, which isn't necessarily a problem unless it's causing problems, if you know what I mean. When mom has oversupply sometimes baby fills up on the watery foremilk before getting to the thicker hindmilk. This can cause tummy discomfort and green foamy stools. A lot of times issues like that will work themselves out and you and your baby will regulate your supply together as you go. Check out that link and let us know if there is anything else there that sounds familiar. If you aren't having any problems latching or keeping baby on the breast, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you are having issues or you feel your baby is in severe discomfort there are things you can do to help correct it. Let us know and we can help you work on that. There are also some tips in that link.

The other potential cause of green poops is an allergy or sensitivity to something in your diet. If you aren't seeing any other signs or symptoms of an allergy I wouldn't jump right to that conclusion, though. It's relatively uncommon compared to oversupply/foremilk-hindmilk imbalances.

As far as pumping, yes you could do that. Your breasts are never empty, even if you've just pumped or nursed, so even if baby decided she was hungry right after you pumped, you could nurse her and she would get milk. If, however, you do think you have an oversupply issue, it would be best to wait until you have that worked out before starting a pumping regimen.

The night waking sounds perfectly normal. You are lucky to get that much sleep.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Well she just pooped and it was yellow! So that is great. On the signs of the oversupply link you sent me not all the time but sometimes she will pull off because she is coughing and
    She does tend to be gassy also. She does make loud swallowing noises at times too. Other than that she does not have the other signs.

Is it normal for her to seem like she is trying really hard to poop? She has her bm's but a lot of the times it looks like she is straining a lot and then once you hear her go she is good.

My husband wanted me to ask this question. If I am oversupplying will that cause her to be cranky/fussy? She is wanting to be held a lot of the times especially during the evening
    until it is time for her to go and lay down in her crib. The only way she will not be fussy is if you have her laying across your legs on her belly.

Great! <---haha, I'm excited about your baby's poop

I'm thinking you're fine. Maybe sometimes she gets more foremilk than hindmilk and it causes some gassy issues, but not enough to feel like you need to actively do anything to try to fix it. Straining can be totally normal, especially in the beginning. She's not used to using her GI system yet. Imagine pooping if you've never done it before...it probably feels really weird.

Evening crankiness is TOTALLY normal. So much so that there are like a million different names for it. The witching hour, evening colic, etc. Is she wanting to nurse during that time? Lots of babies want to clusterfeed in the evenings to stock up for a little bit longer of a stretch of sleep (if mom is lucky ). Even if she's happy not nursing, it probably doesn't have anything to do with oversupply. Usually a woman's supply is lowest in the evenings (another reason some babies like to clusterfeed, it just takes longer for them to get a full feeding). If she wants to be held, hold her. If laying her across your legs works to calm her down, do that. It'll probably change in another week.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My husband keeps saying she has colic, but she doesn't cry for hours and hours non-stop. She just starts getting upset when she doesn't want to be in her bouncy seat or swing. Then
    you hold her and she is fine. I have heard of it being the witching hour myself.
    On the nursing not more than normal, though I do try to put her on the breast just in case she is hungry and if she is she will eat. If not she will just keep pulling off and closing her
    mouth. Or she will just use her tongue and lick my nipple and that is how I know she is not wanting to eat at that moment.

Since she is about to be 6 weeks will she be having a growth spurt coming up? Thank you so much for your help I have gotten more help than from anything online.

Oh wow I am going to have to show my husband the link for the clusterfeed. A lot of that happens towards the evening times with us.

I know it doesn't make it any easier to hear your baby fussing, but it always helped me to know it didn't mean I was doing something wrong.

Could definitely be a growth spurt coming up. There is typically one at 6 weeks (give or take).

It sounds like you're doing great. Just trust your instincts and listen to your baby's cues. Things usually get dramatically easier for nursing moms right around 6-8 weeks.
    --Anonymous

Just wanted to chime in to with everything from the PP. This sounds like very normal new baby behavior and nothing to worry about!