Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To wean or not to wean...

Default To wean or not to wean...

Ladies I am feeling incredibly torn. I had every intention of doing a 'baby-led' weaning but I don't think my supply is up for the challange. My little guy will be 1 on Halloween, and he is nursing less and less during the day.

I should mention I work full time, and I am given adequate time to pump. Sometimes I pump for my full half hour breaks and get 2 oz or less. Now I would think this is no big deal since he has been nursing less during the day... but lately he seems to be getting irritated while nursing, like he is not getting enough. Which leads me to wonder, do I just start weaning or let it go until my supply gives up?

My son also refuses expressed milk completely. So there is no option there. All the milk I pump goes in his cereal because we have tried everything to get him to drink pumped milk. He stopped around 7 months or so.

So extra pumping sessions have done me no good in increasing my supply. And I'm not sure extra effort is worth it at this point since during some of his day time nursing sessions (when I am home with him) he seems less than interested in nursing. But others he seems frustrated by what I can only guess is less milk than he wants. Mean while he has started night waking again only soothed by nursing. I am so confused. :/

Default Re: To wean or not to wean...

Why not just see how it goes? If he won't drink pumped milk, then you can absolutely wean from the pump and just see if he'll nurse enough to maintain your supply. Normally we say you need to nurse at least four times a day to not lose your supply after the 1 year point, but it's not a hard and fast rule, you know? He may be able to keep nursing a couple times a day for a long time. It's up to you, of course, but if it were me, I would pump wean, but wouldn't push weaning from nursing - I would just let it happen naturally. A lot of kids decide they really really love nursing around the one year mark (not all, but a lot), so he may ramp it up a bit and it could be longer than you think.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I haven't pumped since my daughter was 15 mos (Except for one overnight trip away when she was almost 2). I have not had much milk for over a year, but she is still interested in nursing. I think many toddlers nurse even after much milk is gone. My daughter loves the closeness and it is a huge comfort when she's upset. Just today she fell and hit her head and asked to nurse and when she got off (a second or two later) I asked her if she wanted a hug and kiss and she said "no, just nums because they're my favorite." I would keep nursing him during the night and any other time he wants to.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    I haven't pumped since my daughter was 15 mos (Except for one overnight trip away when she was almost 2). I have not had much milk for over a year, but she is still interested in nursing. I think many toddlers nurse even after much milk is gone. My daughter loves the closeness and it is a huge comfort when she's upset. Just today she fell and hit her head and asked to nurse and when she got off (a second or two later) I asked her if she wanted a hug and kiss and she said "no, just nums because they're my favorite." I would keep nursing him during the night and any other time he wants to.
    Krystine that made me smile. So cute. Thanks ladies. That does help a lot. I go back and forth with wondering how he will do. But he is at our homse during my work day with family, and he naps without bottles all the time. So when the time comes I think those will be the easiest feeds to cut out. He doesn't 'ask' for it much. Usually just when he starts to get tired. He will pull my shirt out and look in. I love it. It's so cute. But even when I work a 12 hour shift, he will usually still get nursed at least 3 times within a 24 hour period. I always nurse before I leave for work, when I get home and before bed. Plus usually I wake him before I go to sleep for a dream session too.

Thank you again for your responses. I was feeling quite bummed thinking my supply was making the decision before I was ready. I do want to keep nursing him but I am definitely sick of pumping.

What about the times he seems frsutrated and unfulfilled? It's not every day but once in a while when he is on the breast he starts to get mad and pull off like he is not satisfied with the amount he's gotten. After he's nursed on both sides and he starts to pull off, I will get dressed and sometimes he cries like he wasn't done?

Oh, his father and I have also thought maybe his night waking is due to the cold weather coming in. He likes to take his socks off at night and we think he is waking up cold, and maybe it is completely unrelated to nursing at all...

So I just attempted to put my son down for a nap without nursing. Didn't go as well as id hoped. He cried very hard. He doesn't get bottles before naps when sitters are with him. Ugh. I hate making him cry.

Why not nurse him down? My babies will go to sleep without nursing for other people, but not for me, but that's okay with me.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Yeah. I'd be super mad if the Doughnut lady was at my house but wouldn't give me a doughnut. But if she isn't there MEH I don't een think about the doughnuts ya know? I would nurse while together and wait until he doesn't ASK. It's called Don't ask Don't refuse. It's a way to not encourage kids to nurse any more or any longer than they naturally would but not to take it away before they are ready.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Yeah. I'd be super mad if the Doughnut lady was at my house but wouldn't give me a doughnut. But if she isn't there MEH I don't een think about the doughnuts ya know? I would nurse while together and wait until he doesn't ASK. It's called Don't ask Don't refuse. It's a way to not encourage kids to nurse any more or any longer than they naturally would but not to take it away before they are ready.
    "The doughnut lady." Snort. Love that. Exactly.

You can call me JoMo!