Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 month old tries to roll while nursing?

Default 9 month old tries to roll while nursing?

So we've made it this far, through oversupply issues and DS rejecting one breast (now I'm lopsided ) to being a dedicated milk monster at 9 months. Side-lying nursing has become a favourite, but recently DS has begun to try rolling over while nursing. He'll start off on his side, then wiggle his legs around until he's in a crouching position--this of course causes him to unlatch (or else he will accidentally chomp down with his newly sprouted bottom teeth), which makes him extremely grouchy! Is this just a phase? Can I do anything to help him? I try to lie close by to block him from rolling all the way, but he'll still manage to roll around on the same spot.

Default Re: 9 month old tries to roll while nursing?

Just a phase, and a normal one. Acrobatics are par for the course with older babies. How about putting a firm pillow behind his back so that he can't roll? Or treating it like biting- that is, when he starts doing it, you say "No rolling" and end the feeding. Walk away for a few minutes, and then try again. Hopefully baby makes the connection that rolling = end to fun nursing time!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks! The "no biting" has worked, so "no rolling" may do the trick.

Not sure what to suggest. It's probably just a phase. 9 months is a very wiggly age. Maybe nursing lying down and keeping your little milk monster wrapped in a blanket?
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

I hear you! Personally, I can stand a bit of the wiggles. When it really interferes with nursing, I stop the nursing session and get down on the floor and tumble with my son until he settles. Obviously, this solution has zero value for NIP, but it does the trick for us at home.

I wish he would stay wrapped in a blanket, but he haaaates the blanket. He's never slept in a baby sleeping bag because he likes his legs to be uncovered (except for actual pants or leggings). He seems to be doing better after a few days of rolling. Now I nurse lying down while holding onto his bottom leg so that he can't wiggle it under him and flip over.

Often when baby gets a new skill, he practices it incessantly. But he also learns when not to practice it. I bet your LO is figuring out that rolling has a negative impact on his ability to get a meal, and therefore he should save it for later!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"