Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Accidentally left milk out

Default Accidentally left milk out

On Friday before I left for work (approximately 8:00am) I accidentally left my freshly pumped milk and a container that I had pulled out of the fridge from the day before out on the counter. I realized this when I came home for lunch at approximately 12:20. I immediately put it all back in the fridge right away. Can I use this milk or should I discard it for her bottles on Tuesday?

Default Re: Accidentally left milk out

you can definitely use the fresh milk that was out for 4 hours. i'm not sure if you're saying that there was another bottle that had been in the fridge already, left out for 4 hours. you can PROBABLY use that one too. but milk is pretty sturdy; if it seems ok (taste/smell), it is ok.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Yes there was another bottle of milk that I had in the fridge and took out temporarily and forgot to put back in the fridge along with the fresh milk.

I agree, I think it should all be okay. Breastmilk can be stored at room temperature for up to 8 hours. If in doubt, taste it. If it tastes ok, it is ok.
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

4 hrs is fine, my IBCLC told me 6 hrs at room temp is fine.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

If it still smells and tastes sweet/fine, it's fine.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.