Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What To Do With Stash

Question What To Do With Stash

I've stocked up quite a little stash in the freezer (which, we had a heck of a weekend and that stash was worth its weight in GOLD!). Mainly because I added an extra pumping session in order to increase my pumping output because I wasn't getting enough even after adjusting the over-feeding; so now I get a couple more ounces than we need the next day and it gets stashed.

I'm going to be moving back to Ohio in December. Black Friday will be my last day of work.

Any suggestions about what to do with the stash? It's not in a deep freezer.
    Would you cut out the extra pumping session at some point in the next month, or as it gets closer to the last day on the job? Stop pumping at work at some point to use up the stash before moving? I think I read that milk donation centers don't like milk from babies older than 3 months, but I'd love to donate it if I have enough extra by that that point.

TIA
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

Default Re: What To Do With Stash

You could check out Human Milk 4 Human Babies and see if there is anyone in your area who would be interested in the milk. It's "informed milksharing," meaning the recipient can decide if they're willing to accept "older baby: milk, etc.

http://www.hm4hb.net/

I worked with a bank through Human Milk Banking of North America. They are the national association of non-profit milk banks. They can take milk through the first year of your baby's life. You connect with a bank close(ish) to you and they will give you the details. https://www.hmbana.org will get you to the find a bank link. My first choice would be to work with them, second would be to give directly to a family. I am not comfortable with for-profit banks since they will pay you relatively little and then charge high prices for the final product.

i would NOT cut the pumping at work, because you're going to kill your supply, and you'll just be coming up on the time when most mamas have pumping supply problems anyway.

i second the hm4hb - i donated about 500 oz to a mama/baby near me. facebook has local groups.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Okay, thanks ladies! I thought I read something on here about dropping pumping sessions => decrease in supply. I'll look into HM4HB and whatnot. Thanks again!
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

I just talked to the bank in Denver that is affiliated with HMBANA and they said that they would accept the milk if my baby was less than one year. Unfortunately, i was disqualified because I'd been taking an herbal lactation supplement. I've since stopped taking it but have not been able to get my stash back up to the level required for donation.
    Last edited by @llli*tallmadre; October 9th, 2012 at 08:29 AM.