Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stomach bug?

Default Stomach bug?

I have tried hard to be careful, but I guess it's inevitable with a second(+) baby - I think my 3-year-old has a stomach virus. It's now midnight; she started throwing up at about 6:45 this morning. She isn't super duper sick - has only thrown up about 4 times, not since 1:30 PM now, she managed to eat some supper at 6ish, and was fairly happy for some of the time in between bouts of vomiting. But she's still not feeling too hot. And I'm just wondering: so now if I and/or the baby catch it (though my husband did most of the toddler stuff today, but there was a time when he was out and I had baby in one arm and throw-up duty with the other), what do I do? I'm pretty paranoid because she has been slow to gain weight (she's 11.5 weeks now), and I figure if she gets it, I'd better keep a very close eye that she doesn't lose any weight; and if I get it, I'm worried that it will knock out my milk supply if I can't eat or drink for a while. Any advice or experiences? Would I maybe have to pull out the frozen milk if that happened? Is there any reason to think that it would cause a problem for an otherwise healthy baby - I'm just wondering because of her slow weight gain really, because if she was huge and chubby I don't think I'd worry about it and would feel more confident that just offering constantly would keep the milk supply going even if I was sick.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Stomach bug?

Sorry your LO has a tummy bug! I hope it passes quickly.

If you or your baby get sick, don't worry too much. Just nurse, nurse, nurse, do your best to stay hydrated, keep qn eye on baby's diaper output, and everything should be okay. There's no reason to think you're going to need to dip into your frozen stash. In fact, using supplemental milk when you're sick is a good way to trash your supply: supplementing tells your body go relax and throttle back on production because the demand level has dropped.

Best way to avoid your baby getting sick is rigorous hygiene. I'd break out the bottle of hand sanitizer and use it often! Because I know it's tough to wash hands as often as you need to when caring for a sick kid.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with mommal also i would suggest that if you or baby do get ill, note that and bring that fact to next weigh in, so any dip in gain caused by it is understood as probably due to the illness rather than something else. keep your frozen milk for if it really is needed.

good thing you are nursing. this helps protect baby from getting ill, lowers the severity of illness, and your milk is the perfect food if she becomes ill.

if you become so ill your supply is impacted, her nursing alot will help assure that that dip is very temporary.

kellymom has a couple good articles on this subject http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf.../baby-illness/ and http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...y/mom-illness/
    Is there any reason to think that it would cause a problem for an otherwise healthy baby
    is this a general question or just as illness relates to nursing? some illnesses are dangerous for infants. this is a question for your pediatrician.

Thanks ladies for the advice! So far no one else is sick, but I know we could still come down with it. Lllmeg, I just meant it in relation to nursing I guess - like would an otherwise not-harmful tummy bug maybe have a permanent effect on my supply, which I already sometimes feel is perhaps on the verge of low. But it sounds like the answer is no, especially if baby nurses as much as usual. Thanks again!