Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm at my wits end

Default I'm at my wits end

Today was like 6th day working a 6+hour shift where my LO is not taking a bottle. I don't know what to do. I'm not home so I can not make an assessment of the issue and I've tried talking to hubby about what to do but he just gets mad. Like I'm suppose to know just what to do. She was starving when I got home today. I am a hairdresser and sometimes like today, I go on location for shoots and weddings. Like today.

She's 19 weeks old today, I think she's about 15lbs, usually good outputs of both kinds. Recently started to kind of spit up, she never did before. She is teething and mostly a happy baby. She does want to sleep all the time too. I can't think of anything else. She's an amazing nursing girl! She's just great! But this bottle thing may end my career and I don't want to lose that part of myself. On average I work 3 days a week, almost never more. If I do it's one client and LO usually comes with me, to hang with the ladies.

If you have any advice of the bottle issue, I would be so grateful!!!

Also, she seems to know what to do with a spoon, I took a video and posted it to YouTube for my mom to watch, it's called maizey eats, she's the one in the pink white polka doted onsie. It's super cute to watch if anything, but maybe you could tell me if its ok to offer solids, I wanted to wait until she was 6 months but this video makes me question.

Thanks again as always!

Default Re: I'm at my wits end

Is she reverse cycling when you get home? Some babies will wait for their mothers. But if they make up for it in the other 18hours in the day its not really cause for concern. I am not saying 6hours isn't along time for 4 month old to go. It is. Kind of. But not anything to end your carreer. Because if your baby was sleeping for 6hours straight at night would you let her sleep? Because I would. So in that respect, any 6hour period in a 24hour day is still only 6hours and at this age 4 hours without food is pretty common. So it's only 2 hours longer than that. If it's not causing any issues with output, weight or supply I wouldn't worry. Make sure he continues to offer a bottle. But if she refuses she isn't going to starve. She is hard wired to survive. If she WAS starving she would eat. If she's not starving and she feels like waiting for the tap,
    I would definitely wait until 6 months on solids just because some babies guts simply aren't ready for food before that. Some babies do okay but why risk it when you make the perfect food? You have 18 years to struggle with trying to get your kid to eat a balance and nutritious diet. Trust me. It's NEVERENDING. There is this ONE SWEET SPOT in time where you are all your baby needs. Don't rush through it.

Way too lazy for formula

I wouldn't introduce solids. That can just complicate things IME. What kinds of bottles have you tried? We tried probably 12 different bottles before we tried the Mimijumi Bottle and she FINALLY took that. Not all at once, but she would actually suck a few times on it and with some practice we got her taking it. Good luck!!!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

I agree with pp. I would not offer solids just yet. It is very frustrating and upsetting when they refuse bottles. My DD did this. I went back to working 12 hour shifts twice a week when she was 4 months old. We tried multiple different bottles. They only one she would sort of take were the Playtex drop-ins with a natural latex nipple. Even with that bottle she rarely took more than 4oz total during the 12 hrs I was gone. Despite not taking a bottle she still grew well and met all her milestones. What saved us was co-sleeping. She made up for not nursing during the day by reverse cycling and nursing all night . Co-sleeping let her nurse while I slept. Since you work 6 hour shifts, I think she will be okay as long as you can add in an extra nursing session at night. It is a challenge, but you should be able to balance your career and nursing.

Thanks ladies, I will continue with my hopes of waiting for the 6 month mark. I don't believe she is reverse cycling but I will look it up to make sure I completely understand it. She was taking a bottle just fine, great as a matter of fact, no problems, it just seems like all of a sudden. Hubby says that today she was pulling it to her mouth and playing with it but wouldn't drink. I pump fresh too, pump the day before and 3 oz in the morning of.

We do co-sleep and its my favorite! <3 she makes me feel amazing! And she mostly does sleep through the night. I feel as though she only comfort nurses through the night, few sucks here and there almost never a full meal or even a snack.

I appreciate the reply, and we will continue. I am going to purchase a few different bottles tomorrow and see if she wants to switch it up a bit. I will also mention, she hates pacifiers. They seem to make her mad lol. I always say, if you had a warm squishy would you settle for cold hard rubber? No, you would want the warm comfort.

This is reassuring and I'm always open to advice. I feel much better now