Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush?

Default Thrush?

I posted the other day about my LO being really fussy while nursing. I may be grasping at straws but I'm wondering if something else is going on. In addition to the fussiness, my nipples seem to be getting more and more sore and pink. I thought it was a bad latch or her pulling while she nurses but... I've also noticed some shooting pain deep in my breasts and some itching around my nipple. Could this be thrush? No signs in LO. I don't want to medicate if its not. Any thoughts?? Thanks!
    mom to four energetic kids ages 6,7,8 and our newest arrival born 8/14/2012

Default Re: Thrush?

It sounds like thrush to me. It can be a real pain. I'd go in right away and get checked out. Even if LO doesn't have symptoms they still typically medicate both. As for the diflucan, it works soooo much better than the nystatin. GL!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

I mean ASK for the diflucan haha
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

what you describe is a sign of thrush. and babies are often asymptomatic. (but should be treated anyway according to most thrush protocols) but that does not mean it is thrush. Typically moms with thrush signs are treated for thrush even when no one is sure it is thush-i am not sure if there even is a definitive test for thrush(?) so sometimes the treatment just has to be tried?

staph bacterial infection of the nipple presents very similarly to thrush. This would be treated with an anti biotic, either oral or topical. you could try asking for a culture to be done on you nipple to rule that out.

or you could try All Purpose Nipple Ointment which contains an anti fungal and an anti bacterial plus an anti-inflammatory. it has to be compounded for you at a pharmacy.
    more on apno http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

Same situation with me except no shooting pain in my breast. I just have a cream but my pediatrician prescribed nystatin for my DD. Just started it so i hope it works. Def call both docs and get treatment started asap. GL to you both. My DD took meds wonderfully so i hope urs does too.