Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Uneven milk production (and breasts)

Default Uneven milk production (and breasts)

My daughter is 7 weeks and gaining well. My question is whether it is possible to increase milk production in one breast. My left breast is significantly smaller than the other (it always has been) and does not produce nearly as much milk (I can barely get anything from a pump and DD only nurses about half as long on that breast before she gets frustrated).

My concerns are twofold:
    1) First, is there anything to do about this? My left breast is two cups sizes or more smaller than the right and this gets worse when I nurse. It's not a big deal functionally, of course, but it's a little embarrassing and I have a kind of public job when I go back to work in a few months.

2) I've started pumping to have milk for short outings, but I don't know which side to pump on and I don't want to make the supply disparity worse. So far I've been letting her nurse on the weak side first thing while pumping the strong side on the assumption that she's better at getting milk than the pump is. But that's just a guess. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Uneven milk production (and breasts)

This link on lopsidedness was written for you: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/lopsided/

Basically, what you want to do is to make the underperforming breast increase production by increasing stimulation to and milk removal from that breast. Offer it first at feedings, and if that alone is not enough, try pumping that side in addition to feedings.

These short outings you're talking about- are they with baby, or by yourself? If you're taking the baby with you, no need to pump when you can nurse! We'll be happy to share tips on how to nurse in public.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the reply! I'll try that. I've been offering that breast first, but I'll also try pumping after each feeding.

And the short outings are without babe (like my morning workouts) and usually just enough milk so my husband isn't stuck with a screaming baby. We've had a great time nursing in public. Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lily.mama View Post
    My daughter is 7 weeks and gaining well. My question is whether it is possible to increase milk production in one breast. My left breast is significantly smaller than the other (it always has been) and does not produce nearly as much milk (I can barely get anything from a pump and DD only nurses about half as long on that breast before she gets frustrated).

My concerns are twofold:
    1) First, is there anything to do about this? My left breast is two cups sizes or more smaller than the right and this gets worse when I nurse. It's not a big deal functionally, of course, but it's a little embarrassing and I have a kind of public job when I go back to work in a few months.

2) I've started pumping to have milk for short outings, but I don't know which side to pump on and I don't want to make the supply disparity worse. So far I've been letting her nurse on the weak side first thing while pumping the strong side on the assumption that she's better at getting milk than the pump is. But that's just a guess. Any thoughts?
    This is pretty common. It's also extremely common for breasts to be different sizes. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but there are things you can do.

You can always offer your left side first. For the uneveness, maybe you can find an insert to put in your bra?

Pumping-sounds like you've got the right idea. Your baby will get the milk out alot better than a pump.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.