Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sore and swollen side

Default sore and swollen side

This morning I woke up with engorgement on one side. Lots of medium-large bumps on that side, so I have been feeding baby all day on that side, massaging the bumps, and in the hot shower, hoping to relieve some of the pressure. It feels a bit sore, especially when massaging the area. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Here's a little more info, in case it helps. My lo is 6 mo. I'm away 3 days/wk, nurse on demand the rest of the time. Mondays are my early/long day, in order to pump before I leave I get up @ 4am. I skipped that pump this week, and then my normal break was held up an extra 1/2 hour, so I fed her last @ 3 am, didn't pump til 9:30. I was very engorged & sore, but pumped a ton of milk that session anyway. I felt sick the next day, have been resting as much as possible. Better now except pumping and feeding LO is not relieving my sore & swollen, bumpy breast. What can I do?
    Last edited by @llli*gwendlynsmom; October 6th, 2012 at 12:23 PM.

Default Re: sore and swollen side

Sounds like a very bad plugged duct. I suggest checking out the 2 following links:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplebleb/
    http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

Sometimes the plug is deep in the breast, in which case keep on with heat, massage, moisture, and varied nursing positions (including dangle nursing, where baby is on her back and you dangle the breast into her mouth from above). But sometimes the plug is caused by a bleb (first link), in which case you do all of the above plus trying to get the bleb to break, which sometimes means using a sterile needle. Either way, stay alert for signs of mastitis: fever, chills, all over aches and pains, red streaks or splotches on the skin of the breast, weird nipple discharge. If you see any of that, call the doc.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the info mommal. I don't notice anything like a bleb. Yes there's some red spotches on the underside, but I thought that was from baby's fingernails. It's the top half that hurts. My doc's not in until Monday. I had fever/chills last Monday night, and have been resting as much as possible. I don't have time to get sick. I'm in nursing school and it's midterms this month=really hard workload now. This needs to get better asap!!! I'm going to get some ibuprofin. Any other suggestions are welcome!

Be careful with ibuprofen that you aren't surpressing a fever that would tip you off to mastisis. Mastisis can potentially be very dangerous, so you don't want to ignore signs of it.

Ok so no ibuprofen for now. What should I do? Anything for the pain? Rest, fluids, good nutrition, feed baby or pump, more?

The kellymom links above should be good. Most importantly, you need to clear the plugs and empty the backed up milk. Baby is likely to be better at this than the pump. Dangle nursing, nursing after hot or cold compresses (hot might melt the plugs if they're fat based, cold might bring down inflammation enough to let the plugs move), massaging the breast with a comb, using the back side of an electric toothbrush, all work for some moms. At the same time, you want to watch carefully for signs of mastitis (the usual signs of an infection). If it's mastitis, you probably need antibiotics quickly (untreated, mastitis can turn into an abscess surprisingly quickly). It's still critical to empty the breast. Mastitis is an infection in the backed up milk ducts. Antibiotics are far more effective if you're also draining the infected ducts.

keep to this mantra for bad plugs and/or mastitis--empty breast, lots of rest. When this happens in the 'later' months it's often because mom is doing too much. Take good care of yourself, your family needs you!

kelly mom has good mastitis and plugs articles i also like these http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...plugsblebs.pdf and http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...atcanyoudo.pdf

Thank you so very much. DH wanted to take me to the e.d. last night (it looked so bad), I said to wait. Dangling, feeding, pumping, soaking in hot bath, and massaging, combing with comb and fingers. I got next to nothing from that side pumping. It looks bruised/reddish, still hurts to the touch. But the swelling is going down. Thank you all, mommal, timsmom, lllmeg, for the good advice.