Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Staying healthy while breastfeeding

Default Staying healthy while breastfeeding

Hi Everyone,
    I am breastfeeding my 7 month old daughter, and the last few weeks I've been feeling very drained. It could of course be the lack of sleep, early mornings to work, etc, but I'm also concerned that maybe it's diet or not enough vitamins. I am also concerned that I'm starting to make less - it takes a longer time at the pump to get the same amount. My daughter's poops are also solid more frequently.

What vitamins are you breastfeeding ladies on? Is 7 months a normal time for there to be a lag? Did you find eating more important or is that not true? I've gone back to my pre-preg weight and wondering if that is part of the problem. I was anemic during pregnancy but have continued taking iron.

Thanks!
    I am hoping to continue breastfeeding as long as possible.

Default Re: Staying healthy while breastfeeding

7 months is little early to hit the wall. How many times a day do you pump and how much are you yielding? Also since it's all supply and demand the easiest way to make more is to pump or feed more. Are you pumping while driving?

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wendy300 View Post
    the last few weeks I've been feeling very drained. It could of course be the lack of sleep, early mornings to work, etc, but I'm also concerned that maybe it's diet or not enough vitamins. Did you find eating more important or is that not true? I've gone back to my pre-preg weight and wondering if that is part of the problem. I was anemic during pregnancy but have continued taking iron.
    i agree with PP but i also think you might look at your own answers! nursing is hard work. it really helps if you're taking care of your body, which means sleep and healthy food. our bodies continue to make good/enough milk even in famine situations, but pumping is a lot less effective, and just because one CAN produce milk under famine doesn't mean one SHOULD. are there things you can change about your lifestyle or schedule to get more rest, more food?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I'm not pumping at work because I have a lipase issue and don't have a chance to scald.

So I nurse at home in the morning, then go from 7:15-11:45 not doing anything, then nurse my baby during my lunch break, then 12:15-3:15 nothing, then I nurse on and off the rest of the day and also try to fit in a pumping session to pump for the next day.

Can you pump at work? even if you can't keep the milk if you think your supply is beginning to decrease I would try to pump on one of your breaks. That morning routine actually has you going 4 full hours with no breast stimulation. I would pump. At least once at work. Even if just to get the breast stimulation.

Way too lazy for formula