Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much stress and many missed feedings will affect supply?

Default How much stress and many missed feedings will affect supply?

My LO is 8 weeks old. She is EBF and doing well. I'm concerned tho b/c we are moving this week and I'm really anxious about the move. I'm also a little worried b/c she got her 2 month shots yesterday at 2pm and has slept a ton since. She's only fed about 5 times in the last 20 hours (she usually eats every 2 hours)! Anyone have thoughts about stress or one day of less frequent feedings affecting milk supply? I'm just already so uptight about this move that the thought of my supply tanking is sending me over the edge with worry!!
    mom to four energetic kids ages 6,7,8 and our newest arrival born 8/14/2012

Default Re: How much stress and many missed feedings will affect sup

how stress affects supply will differ from mom to mom. stress can also possibly affect letdown is my understanding. BUT never forget that breastfeeding is the biological norm. it makes little sense from a biological perspective that stress, particularly temporary stress, has a huge affect on milk production. mothers have throughout history and today continue to breastfeed their babies just fine during wars, epidemics, and natural disasters. i look at my own heritage and remember that, for example, mothers breastfed on crowded immigrant ships, crossing the country in covered wagons, and through disease outbreaks that killed their older children. examples of such perseverance can be found in all cultures. obviously for your own health, reduce your stress as much as you can, by getting as much help as you need for this stressful task. but i personally believe the affect of stress on supply is over stated.

long term reduction of feeding frequency certainly will affect supply, but not in just a couple of days typically. and even if there is a slight dip, that is easily fixed by nursing more often.

Thanks! I needs some reassurance. I appreciate the quick response : )
    mom to four energetic kids ages 6,7,8 and our newest arrival born 8/14/2012

with LLLMeg. Stress is not a deal-breaker when it comes to milk supply. Think of all those mamas- in Meg's personal history, but also in all of our family trees- who nursed through war and famine and disease! Put it in that perspective and a move isn't going to wreck anything.