Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Warding off Weaning at 8 months

Default Warding off Weaning at 8 months

Hi,

I am a working mother desperately trying to ward off weaning. My 8 month old mostly sleeps through the night, but we bed share so maybe she wakes to nurse and I don't remember. She nurses a couple of times before I leave for work at around 7:30am then again at lunch then a few times in the evening and again to sleep. I pump enough that she has about two 3-oz bottles while I'm at work. I just changed jobs many things have changed. 1)My lunch time is now later and it varies in both time of day and length of time I have with her. 2)My ability to pump on a regular schedule is a losing battle. I want to stay at home with her but it is not financially possible. I'm kinda stuck in my new job for a while. How much is the changing schedule going to impact supply and her interest in eating? I get different amounts each time I pump and it seems to be decreasing overall.
    Any advice appreciated.

Default Re: Warding off Weaning at 8 months

hi mama, it does get tougher and tougher to pump enough, even in the best of circumstances. how much are you pumping (frequency, duration) and with what pump? are you still going home with her at lunch every day? that's a huge bonus. i totally think you can do this. even if you end up supplementing one bottle at work, that doesn't mean you have to wean. do everything you can to keep pumping as much as you reasonably can (we can help with that), and keep nursing on demand at home, and you'll make it through without weaning.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Ok, I used to pump for 15-20 mins at 10am and 2pm. Now I pump when I can and I try to get in 1 before lunch and one after. I am now getting anywhere from 2-4 oz in the am and 2-3 in the pm. I used to get at least 5 in the am and 4 in the pm. My MIL watches her while I'm at work so she brings her in to me for lunch. It used to be always 30 mins (or more) right at noon and now I see her for 15-30 mins supposedly at 12:45 but it really varies. Sometimes as early as 11:45 sometimes as late as 1:15. This is really messing with her schedule so now she doesn't always eat a full meal (i.e., let down on one or both breasts). She also has a dairy allergy and I am reluctant to introduce foods too quickly and am really, really reluctant to give her formula. I have been fighting the formula thing since she was in the hospital so now I'm maybe more against it than I would have been.

I think you may be worried over- well, not nothing, but also not much. It sounds like your baby is still quite interested in nursing, you're giving her free nighttime access to the breast, you're able to nurse her at least once during the day, and your pump output is basically good. At this point, it sounds like pump output is a larger concern for you than weaning. That's really common for moms around 8-10 months- a lot of people refer to the "9 month slump", something which happens for a large combination of reasons including things like supply being very precisely matched to demand, pump wearing down, baby sleeping long stretches at night, mom acclimating to the pump, etc. When a mom is having tourble pumping enough, here's what she should do:
    - Check her pump for wear, replace valves and membranes and whatnot
    - Try a better pump
    - Slip in some extra pumping sessions, which may mean pumping after feedings when you're home with baby. Even an oz or two collected right before bed would help you make up any shortfalls.
    - Nurse, nurse, nurse- maybe even wake baby once at night if she isn't waking on her own
    - Try milk-boosting herbs like fenugreek, blessed thistle, and oatmeal
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks Mommal. It is good to hear that this is common. She has been distracted while nursing a lot lately which I thought was normal for her age, but I just worried because she also can't have free access during the day and tends to sleep through the night.
    -When you pump extra what do you do if the baby wants to eat right after? I did that before to try to build my freezer supply back up after a power failure and she got so frustrated and upset when the milk wasn't coming as quickly as usual for an after meal snack.
    -I have a new pump (replaced old pump 3 months ago).
    It is a Medela Pump n' Style same as my previous pump which was a used pump (oops found out late on that one).
    -I eat oatmeal, lactation bars (yummy) and drink mothers milk tea. I'll have to look in to adding other herbs.
    -I haven't waken her yet, but I guess I could. I am nervous to do that because she doesn't do well when woken up before she's ready. She has a propensity for night terrors when overtired.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*m11612 View Post
    -When you pump extra what do you do if the baby wants to eat right after? I did that before to try to build my freezer supply back up after a power failure and she got so frustrated and upset when the milk wasn't coming as quickly as usual for an after meal snack.
    you just keep switching her back and forth. i actually, when i needed to boost my suupply, used to pump right BEFORE a feed, because i knew i'd have the most milk then, and get the most to save, and then my DS would work for it. but that's his personality, too. he wasn't gonna let a little thing like slower milk stop him from getting what he came for!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.