Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 wk old to demand the breast for nine straight hours?

Default 6 wk old to demand the breast for nine straight hours?

Is it normal for a 6 wk old to demand the breast for 9 straight hours? Or am I looking at a supply problem? I am totally, completely worn out! literally, he would fall asleep, i burp him and lie him down, and in 5 minutes, he's screaming. only way to stop him was to put him to breast. is 9 hours of nursing normal?

Default Re: 6 wk old to demand the breast for nine straight hours?

It's is during the 6 week growth spurt. Growth spurts are usually cause for marathon feed sessions. I would usually have my DH take the baby and a bottle so I could grab a 2hour nap before my DH went to bed because my child would be at it non-stop from 12minnight until 5 am. It usually lasts 3-5 days, it IS exhausting but since it's all supply and demand, the only way the baby can get your supply to go up is ask for it at a fever pitch for a few days while your body catches up to their growth. No need for panic or supplementing. Just grab some books, and movies and have someone bring your some take out and EXPECT to be in one spot most of the day for the next 2-4. Hang in there. This too shall pass.

Way too lazy for formula

with djs.mom. This sounds like a growth spurt. When DD went through her 3 and 6 week growth spurts I was so exhausted I had to let DH take her for an hour or two in the evening to just let me recuperate a tiny bit before taking over again for the overnighters! Keep your fluid levels up and make sure you eat to give you the energy you need. You'll make it, don't worry
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005
    Mummy to my DS , born 30 july 2008
    proud to have BF him for 8 months
    Now a Mummy for the 2nd time to my DD , born 15 june 2012 for 15 1/2months! Still whenever we can and

DS Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 15oz - 19.5inches
    4 yrs: 35lbs 4oz - 3feet 5.5inches
    5 yrs: 40lbs - 3feet 8inches

DD Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 13oz - 19.5inches
    6.5 months 12lbs 14oz - 26inches
    9 months 15lbs 13oz
    15months 20lbs 11oz - 30 inches

hang in there! you can do this. just keep nursing. don't give in to a bottle of formula - that'll start a cycle of supplementing. find a guilty pleasure (tv or book) and indulge to keep yourself sane.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

literally, he would fall asleep, i burp him and lie him down, and in 5 minutes, he's screaming.

how about try stop lying him down when he falls asleep. hold him or get someone else to hold him. this is when slings really help. Some babies just hate to be put down. these are the smart babies who understand it is safer in the arms of a safe big person than lying somewher something could eat them. as long as an ebf baby is gaining ok and output is ok, you can be pretty sure it is not a supply probem.

My baby - now 12 weeks - still nurses all the time and still hates to be put down. Like some of the PPs said, find a book or movie and settle in. If I put her anywhere she usually won't last 5 min and its back to BF. if I let her sleep on me we both may get an hour to relax. So sometimes I use the time to nap myself - with her snoozing on me - or to catch up on email or other computer stuff. And to think i used to be the superwoman of multi tasking and productivity. Since giving birth my goals are like eat. Pee. Shower. slings and carriers are great. DD will fall asleep many times and i'll have use of arms (and boobs).
    I went back to work this week and I know our Nanny is having to hold our DD a lot. She won't take a paci either so it's quite a challenge no matter who is caring for her, although I'm ok without using one anyway. Good luck and remember that whatever you experience there's a 99 percent chance someone here has gone thru or is going thru the exact same thing.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

If nursing's been going find up to this point, I would assume it's just a growth spurt.

Has anything else changed recently? Been sick or have you started on the pill or other birth control methods?

Lying down to nurse will be your friend. You can also set yourself up in a comfy recliner and read or watch movies or surf the net.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Thank you everyone for all the words of suppotr and advice! it really means a lot to me, as i have a very small and almost nonexistent support network here. my dh has not been v. supportive, pushing bottles and formula. :-(

i never did this right the first 2 x around and am determined to this time!!

i am not one to sit still or watch tv so this is v. hard. Also, DS will not nurse side lying and most times objects strongly to the wrap :-(

It doesn't have to be TV. It can be books, magazines, the lap top, sending out pictures or thank you notes. You can sit in one spot and be productive and multitask! Although after a growth spurt like, I'd watch a movie! You earned it!

Way too lazy for formula

Also, DS will not nurse side lying and most times objects strongly to the wrap :-(
    can you lean way back with baby on top- aka, laid back breastfeeding aka biological nurturing? this way you can rest or snooze or read or do stuff with your older kids whatever with baby safe on top of you-nursing or not. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf and http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html

many babies take a while to adjust to sling. what typically works is to move around -bounce and rock, sway, or just walk doing other tasks. Also try adjusting babies position. your wrap maker should have clear instructions for safe positioning.

here is a little article on some of the differences between formula feeding and breastfeeding that may be of interest to your husband. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...tgoodsense.pdf

don't stop looking for local support. there certainly are other moms out there who are going through or have gone through the same!

it almost always does get easier, and soon. easier than formula and bottles. Remeber what you see on these and other breastfeeding forums are almost always the moms who are having difficulty-the many many moms who don't have any serious issues or concerns don't frequent support forums much. Also I have a theory that one of the reasons breastfeeding is generally considered so hard is because the vast majority of moms who start nursing in the beginning stop sometime in the first couple of months when it often IS confusing and hard, especially for new moms or new to nursing moms, and thus they never experience the ease and convenience that comes later.