Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it possible to drop one feeding?

Default Is it possible to drop one feeding?

Hello ladies,

My LO is 9 months and I mostly BF him, he eats 2 a day but not that much. He nurses every 3 hours, which is the same pattern since he was a newborn, and recently he nurses more frequently at night (every 2 hours, i think, but that is a different topic). I've been taking care of him since birth and we spend all day together and we co-sleep most of the night, but I now have to start studying and I need to have some time for myself during the day, maybe 3 to 4 hours, so I would like to see if it is possible to drop one of his day feedings? what are my options? should I try formula for one feeding?thanks!

Default Re: Is it possible to drop one feeding?

hi mama, do you mean that LO will be with another caretaker for 3-4 hours a day? if that's what you mean then you have a lot of options - pump once while he's away and have caretaker give that to him. some babies might be able to nurse right before and right after and you won't have to pump. formula is an option too but be careful not to stretch the length of time you go without nursing or pumping as it could impact your supply longterm. he will probably start to be able to go longer periods of time without nursing in the next month or two anyway - at least when you're not with him! i think it would be more difficult to drop a nursing if you're with him.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

If you are with your baby, dropping a feeding is just going to make your life harder. He's not going to take a bottle and then leave you alone for 3-4 hours!

Ideally, if you drop a feeding you replace it with a bottle of your own pumped milk. Milk from a carefully screened donor would be second best- though very, very few women have this option! And formula would be third best, but definitely superior to solids. At 9 months, a baby's primary source of nutrition should be breastmilk or formula, not solids.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the replies. My baby will be with my mom or my mom-in-law, so I will not be with him. I have tried pumping but it is very hard, I found I have no extra milk, plus I won't be able to pump during the 3-4 hours I'm not with him. Is it possible to increase my supply just by pumping at this stage? In reality this will be a thing I would do maybe 3 times a week, so it is not going to be a strict routine that's why I though pumping would be too much work... Also, I am clueless of how much should I need to pump, I have never pumped so I don't know how much Oz of milk he eats?

Try pumping 1st thing in the morning. Right after you get up to pee. Most women get the best yield then. Do it every day for 7days. Because you do have to DEMAND the milk to get it to arrive. I would also try pumping at the end of your time apart. If you have been nursing on demand for 9 months, after 3-4 hours of not being together you should have milk. The rule of thumb is you leave 1-1.5 oz of milk for every hour you are away from him. So the if you are going to be away 3 hours leave 2 2oz or 2.5 oz bottles. If you are going to be away 4 hours you leave 2 2.5 oz bottles or 2 3 oz bottles.
    The problem with not pumping and leaving formula instead it that NOT only will you miss the cues to feed during the time you aren't together, you are also going to miss the NEXT cue because formula is harder on their systems and it takes longer to digest. So you will miss two ques a day at least and at 9 months that WILL negatively affect your supply. If you begin pumping in the mornings, and you have the 4-6oz you need to begin with and you then also pump on the days away at the end of your time apart, I think you will make enough and it should not be too time consuming.

Way too lazy for formula

and it is also possible - depending on your baby - that you could nurse, go away for 3 hours, and come back and nurse. many 9 month olds go 3 hours between (some) feedings.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks again for the replies, I will try pumping and see how it goes, I know that if he eats food at noon sometimes he can go 3.5 hours without nursing so maybe if I'm not around it is enough for him to wait for me. He is still nursing a lot at night so maybe he can compensate that way too, well see!

Jumping in a bit late here, but I would suggest forgetting the pumping, it's too much work. Unless you're going to be working full-time, I don't see the need.

Instead, you could nurse him well on both sides just before you go to class. In between, he can have some solids and some juice. Then when you're back together, nurse him straight away again. That's what I would do, anyway.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

i agree with all but the juice! water is more than sufficient.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

I have one day a week where I'm away from my 11 month old for 3 hours. He hardly eats solids, but we haven't needed to pump.

I agree with monika.h and will add one detail. What I've had success with is ramping up frequency of nursing from every 1.5-2 hours to every 1-1.5 hours for a few feeds before I leave (say, over stretch of 4-5hours). (And ditto Auderey on water.)

This approach might be overkill for others, but it gives me peace of mind knowing my son isn't hungry in my absence.
    Last edited by @llli*alphawoman; October 9th, 2012 at 11:13 AM.