Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Green Poop?

Default Green Poop?

Is it normal for a 4 week old that is breastfed but has been topped up a couple of times with formula? Happened a couple o times last night and then back to yellow again.

Default Re: Green Poop?

I breast feed and supplement with formula and my DS also has yellow and green poop. His ped says that formula can cause green poop. I'm sure other women will chime in cuz I think there may be other causes, just know that it may just be the formula.

My daughter is EBF and has green poop occasionally. My doc said it's totally normal so long as she's growing and not fussy. From everything I've read, green poop is a totally normal variation, though I'm not sure how much formula affects things. I've heard that texture (frothy/mucousy) can be more of a problem than color, but hopefully someone corrects me if I'm wrong.

Green is in the normal spectrum of baby poop color. It's only an issue if the poop is always or almost always green, or if the green poops are accompanied by additional, much rarer symptoms like blood streaks/specks, failure to gain weight, allergy symptoms (excema, asthma, hives, etc.), or reflux symptoms (posturing, screaming, failure to thrive). Formula can turn poop a greenish gray color.

Can you share the reason for the formula top-ups? Maybe we can help you avoid needing to use them.

It may or may not be the formula. My DS was fully breastfeed and had green poops for a couple weeks, then never again. As long as there are no other problems, I wouldn't worry about the color of your LO's poop.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

The formula top ups are just while I toughen up. I am so fair skinned it takes a while for it not to hurt, same with my first baby. I am getting there. Doesn't help when sometimes bay wants to constantly feed, at times it feels like I have had the pump on max after she has been feeding on and off for 2hrs. She wasn't giving me enough the in between to recover.