I have been EBF my DD since birth. She will be 4 months old on 10/13. She has a good latch and nurses well in general. I have had oversupply issues and as a result, she block feeds. We don't switch sides and she will usually take the same breast 2 feedings a row. I get plugged ducts often and have had more nipple blisters ("blebs") than I care to recollect. She is gaining weight (12 lb, 8 oz) and reaching all of her developmental milestones.
Within the last 3 weeks, she has become extremely gassy to the point where she is crying hysterically in pain (mostly occurs at night). My husband and I work her legs and massage her tummy. This seems to help her pass the gass. In addition to the gas, she has had frequent green, mucousy stool. We are even to the point now where she has diarrhea (5 poopy diapers in 4.5 hours last night). To top it off, last night we noticed streaky red blood in her stool. Per our pediatrician's recommendation, I am on a dairy-free diet (have been for one week now), DD is getting probiotics daily (Bio Gaia) and I am taking Omega-3's. We also collected stool for an analysis (not an easy task!). The preliminary results were negative for ova and parasites and negative for blood (the 3 samples from earlier this week did not have any visible blood, contrary from the stools last night). However, the leukocyte test showed "few" leukocytes. Our pediatrician is out of the office today but the one who spoke with said this only indicates that there is "intestinal inflamation." We are still waiting on the culture results and the rotazyme test. We have an appointment to see a pediatric gastroenterologist at the end of the month.
At this point, I am at a loss. I am not sure whether DD is experiencing a milk protein sensitivity (or another kind, i.e. soy) or if her symptoms can all be related to oversupply/lactose overload issues or it's something else entirely. I understand that it can take 3 weeks for milk proteins to be completely eliminated from my system and hers, and I will continue the dairy free diet. If it's an overload issue, I don't know how to correct it. We already block feed and she never switches sides. Stopping EBF is not an option, not only because I want to continue it for the nutritional value as well as the bonding experience, but because DD flat out refuses to take a bottle. My husband and I haven't been sick and she hasn't been around anyone who has been so I would be shocked if it was some type of contagious infection.
I am wondering if anyone can offer any insight at all? TIA!