Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what's normal??

Default what's normal??

My son is 3mo old and I am just curious what is the "normal" nursing time and how often? I know there could be a range but what is average?

Default Re: what's normal??

you mean what times of day or for how long? there's really no answer to either. when babies have unlimited access, they get into their own pattern (which then changes as soon as you learn it, ha).
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

My DD nursed every 2 hours, plus some block feeding in the evening, around that time. Then usually 1-4 times during the night. I think she still was taking anywhere from 20-40 minutes at that point to finish, but it was right around then I think she started taking a little less time. When I went back to work, she had bottles about every two hours until I got home.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

There's a big range. Some 3 month old babies nurse for 5 minutes every 3 hours, and sleep for long stretches at night. Some are nursing every 1-2 hours for 20-40 minutes at a time, round the clock. I don't know if anyone has established an official "average" between those extremes. I'd guess, however, that by 3 months many babies are at least giving mom a single 3-5 hour sleep stretch at night. But that's just a guess!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Normal is just a setting on the dryer. Got that from FB. My kids were so different. My DD nursed very frequently every 1-2 hours for like 20 minutes. She was a terrbile sleeper. Only cat napped. Up a lot at night. My son on the other hand had no problem going at least 3hrs between. I have no idea how long he nursed for...sometimes a while,s ometimes not. He sleeps pretty well too.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I'd guess, however, that by 3 months many babies are at least giving mom a single 3-5 hour sleep stretch at night. But that's just a guess!
    Other people's babies. But never my babies.

My three month old nurses for about 5-10 minutes every 2 hours, pretty much around the clock. But we cosleep so the night wakings aren't too bad.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Is he doing something to make you thing he's not "normal"?
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Other people's babies. But never my babies.

My three month old nurses for about 5-10 minutes every 2 hours, pretty much around the clock. But we cosleep so the night wakings aren't too bad.
    I know, right? My kids were also up every 2-3 hours until around 4-5 months, when they transitioned to sometimes giving me one 3-5 hour stretch, followed by hourly wake-ups. I didn't mean to suggest that a 3-5 hour stretch was normal or to be expected- just that it seems like it's something which a fair number of moms are seeing by 3 months. Not everyone, maybe not even most moms- but a fair number. Whatever that is. Any statisticians in the audience are giving me a resounding thumbs down right now...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

At 3 months we had a good stretch of 4 hour sleeps followed by a quick nursing and then another solid 3 hours.

But that was 3 months.

Months 4 and 5... errr... not so much.

As soon as you figure out what's "normal" for your kid, teething, growing, illness, the moon, you name it will change it.
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

He nurses for about 25-30min anywhere from 2-4 hours during the day and up to 6.5 at night. I was just curious how long it takes for a baby his age to nurse a full feeding. It seems like a long time. And when he goes 4+ hours it isn't that long but 25min every two hours is a lot!