Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thoughts & experiences to share?

Angry Thoughts & experiences to share?

As of Sunday I'm home with a 17 day old preemie (born at 34 wks) who is favoring the bottle over breast for obvious reasons. Nurses told me I have flat nipples. I've tried pumping before to get them to stand up and my boy still shows no interest. Nipple shield frustrates us both though it does work from time to time. Hosp sent me home with Neosure 2xs a night for continued weight gain (anyone know of a 22 cal organic brand btw?). I've all but abandoned the breast for now; am I making a mistake waiting until he's older to reintroduce breast? Should I keep trying even though he isn't interested?

Default Re: Thoughts & experiences to share?

Are you able to see a lactation consultant or other breastfeeding helper?
    Flat nipples need not be a barrier to latching a baby, but very often in the early days especially, latch techniques and positioning adjustments are needed to help baby get a good latch. Without knowing what you have tried I do not know what to suggest but will attach an article I think covers some of the basic ideas to try.

Flatness is often 1) In the imagination of whoever 'diagnoses' it and 2) a very temporary situation anyway (often nipples are soft and flatish in the early days for a variety of reasons) I also had 'flat' nipples supposedly with my oldest, who was born at 37 weeks via C-section and difficulty latching. We used a nipple shield for about 4-6 weeks and I am convinced it saved our breastfeeding relationship.

Nipple shields are very frustrating but with some latch help and tweaking you may find how to use them effectively. Usually Best to encourage baby to nurse as much as possible even if it is only possible with a shield.

I've all but abandoned the breast for now; am I making a mistake waiting until he's older to reintroduce breast? Should I keep trying even though he isn't interested?
    Yes IMO is IS a mistake to wait to even try to nurse part of the day at LEAST. I assure you your baby IS interested as biology compels him to wish to suckle. He is being trained to the bottle due to the circumstances.

Meanwhile- you do not mention pumping. are you pumping, how often, and with what type of pump? What is baby being fed- neosure only, or as a supplement?

Also, how many bottles does baby get each day and how large are they? It can be hard to find the balance but while you certainly do not want baby at all frantic with hunger when you try to nurse, if baby is entirely sated with the bottle baby may show little interest in nursing.

Encourage comfort nursing and familiarity with the breast as a comforting place with lots of skin to skin contact or at least holding baby on you as much as possible with easy access to the breasts. http://feedthebabyllc.com/latch-and-positioning/
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; October 22nd, 2014 at 08:56 AM.

Default Re: Thoughts & experiences to share?

Don't be discouraged! PP is right to suggest seeing a lactation consultant. They should be able to help you with latching, a good one should know lots of tricks to help with "flat" nipples.

Like you I'm also struggling with a preemie who prefers bottle to breast. And part of that is that we're having trouble with latching, but I still try to get her to nurse at every feed, even if its only for a few minutes. Here are a few tricks I've found help with her. I use two pieces of paper tape to secure the nipple shield, so when she's waving her hands around she doesn't knock it flying. Also if she's acting frustrated at the breast (bobbing on and off, pulling) and is unwilling suckle long enough to get my milk flowing, I will offer the bottle and let her take about half the amount. Then once her hungers been sated a bit she's usually more patient and is more willing to try. And I started using the football hold instead of the cross-cradle hold and that has enabled us to get a better latch, although its still not great.

Keep trying, but also give yourself some breathing room. If right now you find breastfeeding too frustrating, it is possible to go and try again later. Having a frustrated momma is not going to help your son breastfeed. When my daughter first came home a month ago, we were only breastfeeding twice a day, then after a bit bumped it to five times and as of Sunday we're doing it at every feed. She's still taking most of her feed via the bottle, but sometimes she'll leave half of it so I know she got at least some milk direct from me.

I don't know if there is a specifically organic 22 calorie formula, however you can use any formula you like and fortify it to up 27 calories, its just a mater of more formula to less liquid. We had to switch my daughter from Neosure to Nutrimigen because she was sensitive to cow's milk protein. The neonatologist said that even though the full term infant formula didn't have extra calcium, protein and vitamins, if she was sensitive to the Neosure she wouldn't be digesting it optimally anyway. In the month since she came home she's almost gain 2 pounds and now weighs 7lb 11oz at 42 weeks gestational. She's a petite girl, but so was I.

Best of luck with you baby boy and congratulations on bringing him home!