Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tongue Tie Clipped, Doesn't Want to Feed

Default Tongue Tie Clipped, Doesn't Want to Feed

In my previous posts I've shared our difficulties with low supply and milk transfer. I knew she had an upper lip tie and I suspected she had a posterior tongue tie although our GP said no. Well we saw the ENT this morning and low and behold she did have posterior tongue tie. We had the tongue tie clipped but left the lip tie be. She was not a happy baby at all. I've given her children's tylenol but she still didn't want to nurse. She'll latch on but pull off almost immediately, crying. I was able to give her a bottle at noon, her tie was clipped at 11am. But at 2pm she wouldn't even take the bottle nipple into her mouth. Is this usual for post tongue tie revision?

Default Re: Tongue Tie Clipped, Doesn't Want to Feed

When I got my LO tongue and lip ties done, it was by a dentist with a laser, he was 8 weeks at the time. We nursed immediately after it was done before even leaving the office. He was painful for a day or so but it didn't stop him breastfeeding. We used some tylenol and Highlands teething gel.

It may be a bit different with clipping or when older. What does the ENT's office say about it?

Well she did end up taking the bottle. I think since the bottle is easier and she doesn't have to work her tongue as much to get milk it hurts less than nursing. From what I've read a nursing strike can follow a tongue tie revision but is usually temporary, stopping once the pain lessens.

I would have loved to have it lasered rather than clipped but we have hit our out of pocket max for insurance so everything medical is covered. The dentist I contacted said it would be over $500 and I just can't justify it when the clip didn't cost us anything.

We were desperate, we went to the first place we could get seen and it was all out of pocket no matter what we were going to do because the Ped office never got back to us with a referral that would see us within months.