Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Slow letdown and sore nipples

Default Slow letdown and sore nipples

Okay, I have a couple questions for you wise ladies. The first involves sore nipples. DS is teething, and a few days ago he bit my nipples several times at the end of a feed. He doesn't actually have any teeth yet, but it still didn't feel good. My nipples are getting progressively more sore, but I haven't felt him bite me again. Could he be doing something I'm not aware of? He usually naps on me and nurses off and on throughout his naps. This seems like the time when he's hurting me the most. Any suggestions or ideas for what might be happening? It's not unbearable or anything, but things do seem to be getting worse.

My second question involves letdown and supply. This morning I gave DS a taste of oatmeal for fun. He's only 5 months, but it was seriously just a taste. Less than half a teaspoon. This could be totally unrelated to my question, but I figured it was worth mentioning. All day I feel like I have an especially slow letdown, and a few times it doesn't seem like I've had a letdown at all. Could it be that DS isn't hungry because I gave him oatmeal? Or maybe the physical discomfort is causing me to not have a letdown? I know it's only been one day, but it freaked me out!

All ideas are appreciated! Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Slow letdown and sore nipples

I've never felt letdown except when pumping so you may just not being feeling it anymore ???? I highly doubt it was the oatmeal. That little wouldn't even make a difference in his nursing IMO.

The soreness I think may get better on its own but try a few new positions and see if those feel better.

Sorry that is the best I got.
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mrbabybutton View Post
    Okay, I have a couple questions for you wise ladies. The first involves sore nipples. DS is teething, and a few days ago he bit my nipples several times at the end of a feed. He doesn't actually have any teeth yet, but it still didn't feel good. My nipples are getting progressively more sore, but I haven't felt him bite me again. Could he be doing something I'm not aware of? He usually naps on me and nurses off and on throughout his naps. This seems like the time when he's hurting me the most. Any suggestions or ideas for what might be happening? It's not unbearable or anything, but things do seem to be getting worse.

My second question involves letdown and supply. This morning I gave DS a taste of oatmeal for fun. He's only 5 months, but it was seriously just a taste. Less than half a teaspoon. This could be totally unrelated to my question, but I figured it was worth mentioning. All day I feel like I have an especially slow letdown, and a few times it doesn't seem like I've had a letdown at all. Could it be that DS isn't hungry because I gave him oatmeal? Or maybe the physical discomfort is causing me to not have a letdown? I know it's only been one day, but it freaked me out!

All ideas are appreciated! Thanks for your help.
    My guess is things will improve soon.

Biting can really hurt, even if they have no teeth because the teeth are just under the gums. Make sure to give him lots of things to chew on for his teething. If he bites again, take him off the boob, he will soon learn. Never startle or make him cry as this can cause a nursing strike.

Any type of pain can definately inhibit letdown. I really doubt the oatmeal had anything to do with it. I also feel that you must be letting down something or you'd have a seriously cranky baby on your hands.

As for the sore nipples, try getting back to basics and ensuring good positioning and a good deep latch. Things should heal up soon.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Thanks for the feedback! I did have a very cranky baby, and I couldn't hear him drinking, so I do think letdown was an issue (though a short lived one). It was probably pain related. We'll work on the latch. I had a knee jerk reaction this morning of kind of jumping and saying "ouch!" loudly after he bit me. It did seem to upset him which in turn upset me. I'll have to work on my poker face.