Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Brewers yeast tablets to increase milk supply????

Question Brewers yeast tablets to increase milk supply????

So I have spoke to a lot of moms who have taken yeast tablets to increase milk supply and they SWEAR by them. One mom told me within hours she increased from pumping 2-3oz to 5-6oz. Are these safe? My DD just hit 3 months and I know we are going through a growth spurt and all,but I cant keep up, I dont feel as though I've been able to keep up since the day she was born. She grows fine trust me, the ped actually said she was a little "big" for her age, she puts out plenty of wt diapers, plenty poopy too, but she is insatiable, she eats 24/7. If she's not on the boob she's screaming, I would just like her to be content. So yeast tablets yay or nay?

Default Re: Brewers yeast tablets to increase milk supply????

To be honest I don't think you need to up your supply - it seems like diaper output is great and obviously weight gain is too. I know growth spurts are so hard. My DS is 3.5months old and we went through our latest one a couple of weeks ago .. Lasted 4 days and we nursed every 1-2hours during the day and every 2-3 hours at night. I. Was. Exhausted. But it doesn't last forever and bfing has become much easier since then - phew!

Sometimes we feel we aren't producing enough and as you said 'not keeping up, but in these early stages we just need to trust our LO's and their cues. More LLL ladies will chime in with better advice, I'm sure! Hang in there, Mama, it'll get better!
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005
    Mummy to my DS , born 30 july 2008
    proud to have BF him for 8 months
    Now a Mummy for the 2nd time to my DD , born 15 june 2012 for 15 1/2months! Still whenever we can and

DS Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 15oz - 19.5inches
    4 yrs: 35lbs 4oz - 3feet 5.5inches
    5 yrs: 40lbs - 3feet 8inches

DD Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 13oz - 19.5inches
    6.5 months 12lbs 14oz - 26inches
    9 months 15lbs 13oz
    15months 20lbs 11oz - 30 inches

I don't think there's any harm in the tablets, but don't expect a production boost to result in a "content" baby. Your LO is obviously getting plenty to eat, but just looooves being in mommy's arms and at the breast, and is willing to scream in order to get there. There is nothing in the world that is going to change that except for time. 3 month olds aren't interested in anything other than nursing and cuddling, but in not very long your LO will discover things like her own fascinating hands and feet, and toys, and looking out the window or following people with her eyes as they move around the room. When she gets into those things, her interest in the breast will likely diminish a bit.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Never had any experience with brewer's yeast, but I've had good results with fenugreek and domperidone (not at the same time, though! ).

Have you tried "wearing" your baby? Like in a sling or snugli. This may help increase her happiness.

As for increasing milk supply, here's some herbal info:

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...ename=doc-HRMS
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

Thanks, like I said she's content so I guess I wont be trying anything, and since I have the luxury of not having to pump very often I can cuddle and nurse whenever she wants