Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk when nursing an older toddler

Default Milk when nursing an older toddler

Hi mamas! For those of you who nursed your child into the 4th, 5th, etc. year, was your child getting milk when nursing, or was it mostly comfort nursing? Was it that much or only minimal? I have a terrible eater so still want her to have some milk, but my breats seem to be getting tired, esp. after AF came back in full force the month before last.

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...

Default Re: Milk when nursing an older toddler

I nursed my first LO until 3, and by the end there was very little milk. My 2.5 year-old is now down to just 3 nursing sessions a day, and there's now very little there. I'd say she gets a good letdown maybe once a day. I don't think the dwindling of milk supply has much to do with time- I think it has everything to do with the level of interest from the kid.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I wonder how much my little guy gets as well. He tells me sometimes that it is all gone and other times that there is a lot. I don't know how much he is getting and don't feel let downs anymore. I actually hand expressed a little to put in his eye the other night when it was all red and I was afraid he was getting pink eye and it squirted out better than I expected LOL! He is allergic to dairy so I am hoping he is getting enough. He isn't a great eater either and doesn't drink much of the coconut milk I give him. I do notice a difference around AF time though. He complains more about no milk. However, wehn it ends the milk seems to be more abundant for him. I'm rambling now but regardless of quantity, I know that he still needs his "milky" for now so I'm happy to continue nursinf even if he isn't getting a lot. Any amount is better than none.

my name is Sarah mother to
    Alana 12/31/98
    Conner 5/30/09

Breastfeeding 3 years and counting!

Potty trained at 2 but kind of miss those cute CD's!

"Of all the rights of women, the greastest is to be a mother." Lin Yutang

Wow, I'm in your exact situation. My girl doesn't drink cow's milk either (was sensitive to it in my diet when she was nursing, up until 2) so I was/am happy to nurse her. However, I recently discontinued the domperidone I had been taking the past year and the drop in milk supply was marked (or was it, like Mommal said, due to the child's lack of interest?) My girl seems happy with whatever she gets (but that's always been her way ever since a newborn), which is next to nothing mid-cycle.

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...