Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby better at breast, but hopsital measures bottles

Default Re: Baby better at breast, but hopsital measures bottles

Thanks for the tips! Little one was having trouble staying on, even though she would latch and drink, but then she would come off, and need to root and reattach again, which they tell me causes her to expend too much energy-after one such day she lost two ounces. With the shield, she stays on better. The therapist doesn't think she will need it for long, though.

We used it with my LO for about 6wks but I think I could have switched over sooner. I'm glad to hear that things are getting better.
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

Update: baby girl is finally staying awake for more feedings She is 36 weeks and a day. I hope this means she will be home soon. The past couple of days have been amazing-nursing for 20 minutes or more with no supplement after (when I could be there), and yesterday she took a whole 2-oz feeding by bottle (with a nurse when I couldn't be there). The sidelying feeding position video was so helpful-I talked about it with the OT about it and she wrote an order to make sure all the nurses were doing it-she admitted some nurses do and some do not, though as a therapist she knows the benefits-I am sure this has made a difference I am also sure I won't be using the shield for long-she's a preety big preemie

That's great news. Thanks for updating us. And you know, you probably had an effect on the hospital's practices too - it sounds like they were really listening and probably some people learned some things that will help the next mama...

I'm glad that everyone there has been so helpful and receptive. And I agree that you have done more than help your LO you've probably helped future preemies too. Way to go
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

Default Re: Baby better at breast, but hospital measures bottles

UPDATE-baby came home October 20, and seamlessly transitioned to EBF It took about 2 weeks for her to stop needing supplemental bottles (65 ml breastmilk mixed with 1/2 tsp Neosure powder to add calories) and for my supply to adjust to her needs (I was actually overproducing and was having to pump to alleviate engorgement at first). At first I had to wake her for feedings, but now she is in a nice, regular pattern of at least every 2 hours during the day and every 3 or 4 at night, with a few "cluster-feeds" during the day at times. She is growing and gaining, and looks wonderful. I'm so thankful she is nursing so well. Thanks for the support! I'm also happy if what I went through helps other mamas and babies!