Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about False Pregnancy

Default Question about False Pregnancy

Will breastfeeding mimic a pregnancy? My daughter is 13 months old and I thought for sure I was pregnant but I had a urine test at the doc last week and it proved negative. I feel pregnant and have a tummy! So again, should I be feeling pregnant if I'm not? I have all the pregnancy symptoms; tired once a day, urinating more, indigestion, backache and headache but a negative test! Oh and I have been feeling flutters but I guess that could be ovulation? I'd appreciate any thoughts Thanks.
    Taylor Don 10/24/98-11/22/98
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

Default Re: Question about False Pregnancy

Additionally, no birth control for about six months.
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

The symptoms you list can be caused by many, many different conditions. Breastfeeding isn't one of them, though. Breastfeeding will suppress your menstrual cycle, and in that way it is like pregnancy. But once your period comes back, and has been back for a while, breastfeeding won't make it go away again.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you mommal See I've known that breastfeeding alone isn't a means of birth control and I understood when I was released from the hospital with my daughter on August 27 of last year, that without the minipill, I could get pregnant and I'm okay with that. I guess I should be asking if any of you have gone through this? Meaning, while breastfeeding a toddler, and not having a cycle, did anyone conceive again and also get a negative urine test? With my older daughter, I got a negative urine test but a week later a positive blood test. If I am pregnant, would the sex of my child dictate the outcome of these tests you think? Thanks
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

Or do I need to just change my sig? I feel absolutely nutty!!! I am scheduled on Monday for a lab.
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

False negatives are not that uncommon, particularly if you test very early when levels of pregnancy hormones are still very low. The sex of the baby has no impact on the likelihood of this being a false negative.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I know..........but I still put a little trust in wive's tales. Guess I'll know for sure Monday.
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

Update: Positive blood test.
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

Congrats on your newest family member!

Thank you thank you I don't know if it's the hormones but I feel like crying. I'm so blessed.
    Katie Elena 8/24/11