Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: table manners and 13 month old

Default table manners and 13 month old

My 13 month old can sit on her high chair for 10-15 minutes but once she gets towards the end of her feeding wants to walk with foods that she can hold in her hand. I understand that walking is tons of fun for her, but am I doing a bad thing by letting her walk with a snack or veggies that she can manage?

I imagine most toddlers like to do this so I'm hopping for some helpful feedback..thanks!

Default Re: table manners and 13 month old

I think the real concern isn't table manners, but choking, or biting her tongue.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I think the real concern isn't table manners, but choking, or biting her tongue.
    and I wasn't willing to follow mine around to clean up the mess! My bet is if she's walking away she's really done eating anyway.
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14
    born all natural 11/4/14 nursing like a champ and growing like a weed!

eh, DS eats most of his meals walking around. it's messy but he doesn't cry and bang the table, so

of course he also bit all hte way through his tongue last month - he liked to stick his tongue out while rough housing with DH. DS's learning that might not be the best thing in the world. i figure that's (one way) how kids learn. so i might be on the far end of the spectrum on concern about biting tongues
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

My biggest concern would be choking.

We want our children to learn that we eat meals together at the table. We sometimes give DD1/DD2 a few goldfish to snack on when they are 'loose' but not every day. My son is not allowed down from his booster seat until he is done eating (and we don't even let him down until we are all done, we don't want them to leave the table until the meal is over for everyone)
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Mine both walked and snacked at that age. Neither one has choked or bit their tongue.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Mine both walked and snacked at that age. Neither one has choked or bit their tongue.
    mine too
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I have a 13 month old and I'm not really concerned with table manners yet. I just feel like she's too young. We all eat at the table together with her in her high chair or she sits in my lap if she wants out of the chair. I give her snacks while she is loose and sometimes a mini waffle or something in the morning. She seems to manage it fine.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

My son did the same so I'm not too worried about it, since he can sit through a meal with no problems. So by table manners I mean more so teaching that a meal starts and ends at the table. My son had most of his meals at his sitter's house while I'm home with my daughter, so it's almost like a new experience. Part of me feels that it's part of being a toddler almost as waking at night may be for a breastfeeding baby. People will say parents are doing something wrong by responding to their older baby at night just as letting their toddler walk around...but maybe it's just a normal part of behavior, no? I work alongside nutritionists who are of the school that toddlers should begin and end all meals at the table, so it's tough not to think about their opinion. Anyhow, I ordered a seat that connects to my table and I will say she's much happier being at table level than being in a high chair!

DS has come to associate the table with food, very strongly. he has a baby-height high chair that he can climb in himself, and he does when he's hungry. this actually is great since he's not talking yet so it's a way he can tell us. so he'll go and sit in the chair every morning when we get up. but when DH & i are sitting at the big table for dinner, DS really wants to mimic us and sit in a big chair - which he now does for maybe half the meal. other half spent walking around and eating, or in a lap. i do think it's just part of baby behavior: they get distracted, bored, whatever by just sitting at table. often DS will seem uninterested in what we're eating, wander away, and then come back for a bite. that's ok with me because he's following his own hunger cues.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.