Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 13 month old not taking enough BM

Default 13 month old not taking enough BM

Hello,

My son just turned 13 months old. I returned to work while he was 3.5 months old. I have been pumping at work since then and would leave behind 3 4oz bottles of BM every day, which he would happily finish.

We started BLW around 7 months, but he was still going strong with the bottles of BM.

Since the last couple of weeks, he has completely refused to drink BM out of the bottle. (I'm gone between 9 AM-4PM). He nurses fine while I'm at home, about 3-4 times during the day and may be once at night. My MIL watches him while I'm gone.

He has been drinking water (a few sips) out of an open cup since we introduced it around 9 months. So, yesterday I tried giving him milk in the open cup. He would have none of it.

His solid intake fluctuates wildly, so I'm concerned that he does not take any milk during the day. Any ideas on how do I get him to take the BM when I'm not around?

Thanks!

Default Re: 13 month old not taking enough BM

as long as he's nursing on demand at night (wait, on days you work how many times does he nurse?) he'll get enough balanced nutrition to carry him through. one of the awesome things about nursing! i think wildly fluctuating solids intake is just par for the coures, whether or not baby is nursing.

i, personally, would take this as a sign and an opportunity to pump wean at work.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Yep. You are beyond the year point. As long as you are still nursing 3-5 times in a 24hour period, you don't need to replace your milk with anything else. Water out of a sippy with solids while away from you and breastfeeding on demand while together is enough. Oh! And that means you can begin to pump wean as well! So congrats on making is this far....and happy pump weaning!

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks for the advise, ladies! Would live to put the pump away, but wouldn't that affect my supply adversely? I'm away from my son almost 7 hours a day.

after 12 months, most moms' supply is robust enough that they can pump-wean at work. that combined with the fact that bm does not need to be primary nutrition after that point.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Nope. I was home feeding on demand until 14months. At 14months I went back full time. No pumping. Away 9-10 hours a day for 5 days a week. He drank water and ate solids while away from me and continued to nurse on demand while together. All was fine. Usually by the year point your body can be trusted to make milk on demand. If you are away all day and there is no demand, you will make less milk. But after the year point your baby needs less milk. So it's fine.

Way too lazy for formula