Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can pumping volume increase?

Default Can pumping volume increase?

First day back at work, first day ever double pumping multiple times per day.
    1st session 35 - 40 min 5oz total. Only stayed on that long because I was hoping for more
    2nd session 35 - 40 min not even 2oz
    Def not making enough for baby for tomorrow. Will have to go to frozen.
    Lactation room is private and comfy and I felt let down when I looked at photos of DD.
    if this doesn't improve I will run out of frozen.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Default Re: Can pumping volume increase?

Can you tell us more about your schedule? What times are you pumping? How many hours a day do you work? Do you have a commute? Can you see baby over lunch to nurse?

In the beginning, I always had better production when I was relaxed and looking at photos/videos of my babies. I used to bring 4x6 picutres with me and then would watch videos on my phone. I also would bring my laptop and read entertainment and gossip, things that would not be stressful.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*toddlerandtwins View Post
    Can you tell us more about your schedule? What times are you pumping? How many hours a day do you work? Do you have a commute? Can you see baby over lunch to nurse?

In the beginning, I always had better production when I was relaxed and looking at photos/videos of my babies. I used to bring 4x6 picutres with me and then would watch videos on my phone. I also would bring my laptop and read entertainment and gossip, things that would not be stressful.
    That's the thing. With our great lactation rooms and me looking at photos and video of DD I thought I'd have no issue.
    Initially I'm shooting for 9:30 to 5 schedule, but I live in a traffic city so add at least a 30 min stop and go commute on either side.
    Not possible for a lunchtime visit. Today was my first day back so I have no pump history schedule. I worked 8a to 3p and I pumped at 9:30 (felt the swell so I went for it and got the 5 oz) and then 1:30 even though I didn't feel ready. That's when I squeaked out 3 oz in 40 min and I actually got there only by doing one at a time after 20 min on both was getting me nowhere.
    Last edited by @llli*debbers; October 3rd, 2012 at 05:02 PM.

I work full time and because I pump so much I now have a bit of an oversupply. I work 7:30 to 4:30. I have a 20 minute commute on both sides. I nurse before I leave at around 6, pump between 9 and 10. At the first pump I initially started with getting about 6 oz in 20 minutes. My second pump I would get between 1.5 and 3oz in about 20minutes. Now I pump the same amount of time but I generally get between 7 and 10 oz at the first pump and between 3 and 4oz at the second. My daughter sleeps the night so I also pump after her last nursing session of the evening and if I really need extra milk or to build a bigger supply, I pump again around 2 a.m. I drink tons of water through out the day and I use herbs and eat oatmeal to make sure I maintain a large supply. The oversupply doesn't bother my daughter because she has a poor suck and slow or low milk transfer. The more I have the easier it is for her to get a meal. So in a round about way I would say it is possible at least from my experience to increase supply through extra sessions and your body becoming accoustomed to pumping.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sidnlilly View Post
    I work full time and because I pump so much I now have a bit of an oversupply. I work 7:30 to 4:30. I have a 20 minute commute on both sides. I nurse before I leave at around 6, pump between 9 and 10. At the first pump I initially started with getting about 6 oz in 20 minutes. My second pump I would get between 1.5 and 3oz in about 20minutes. transfer. The more I have the easier it is for her to get a meal. So in a round about way I would say it is possible at least from my experience to increase supply through extra sessions and your body becoming accoustomed to pumping.
    Hey thanks for this So if your first pump at work is between 9 and 10, when is your second? The most I have ever pumped from both sides is 7oz and 5 was from one side. Right consistently pumps more. And what herbs do you use? Have you compared herbs vs oatmeal or have you done both since you started. (I don't eat oats, grains, etc)

I would suggest pumping 3 times while at work, since your baby is so young and probably eats that often (or more) when nursing. I know it's hard to fit in 3 pumps in an 8 hour day, but you can do it. If you have everything set up (bottles/pump) in between sessions and can go into the room, hook up and go, you can be very efficient and pump 3 times. women vary on how long they need to pump. In the beginning, i would take 20 minutes to pump (keep pumping until the milk stops), then after a few months I could pump in 10-15 minutes. but every woman is different.

are you nursing right before you leave? are you nursing right when you get home? If so, your baby should only need 8.5-13oz of milk while you are gone. and if you nurse right when you get home that may be on the lower end of that scale. if you are producing in this range you are doing great!
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Pump on your commute to work in the morning.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*worknpump View Post
    Pump on your commute to work in the morning.
    I've seen that suggestion, and it's a great one, but I nurse right before I go out the door. Plus my pump is the wrong choice for that. I'm having buyer's remorse on my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*toddlerandtwins View Post
    I would suggest pumping 3 times while at work, since your baby is so young and probably eats that often (or more) when nursing. I know it's hard to fit in 3 pumps in an 8 hour day, but you can do it. If you have everything set up (bottles/pump) in between sessions and can go into the room, hook up and go, you can be very efficient and pump 3 times. women vary on how long they need to pump. In the beginning, i would take 20 minutes to pump (keep pumping until the milk stops), then after a few months I could pump in 10-15 minutes. but every woman is different.

are you nursing right before you leave? are you nursing right when you get home? If so, your baby should only need 8.5-13oz of milk while you are gone. and if you nurse right when you get home that may be on the lower end of that scale. if you are producing in this range you are doing great!
    Yes I am. It has only been a day but that's the goal.

I agree with trying for 3x. I'm unhappy with my very expensive pump purchase so I'm contemplating my next move there. While it has been fine for home it's terrible for remote use. I'm sure it won't be my last first time mom misgiving!

I would just say to not get too hung up on or worried about what you're seeng right now. The advice about adding a session is great. And lots of water.

But just know that things change and in my experience, production at the pump is up and down. Some days fantastic, but somtimes I fail to let down at all during a session. I curse at my pump, throw my tantrum, and then take deep breaths knowing it'll swing back.

I'm gone 9 hours from my baby, and pump max 9oz (lately more like 7). But I nurse right before I drop off and right as I pick her up, and she eats solids. I have 4 pump sessions during my 9 hours away (which is tedious and I can't wait to quit!!).
    Mom to daughter C (10/30/11) delivered by midwives in unmedicated birth. EBF after breast augmentation, CD, baby wearing, part time co-sleeping, WOHM.

SAVED by LLL meeting in week one. (no milk for first SEVEN days!)

Weaned DD at 20 months.

Next one due in Feburary 2014!